Can a fly on an airplane fly faster than the airplane?

In summary, the answer to whether a fly can fly faster than an airplane depends on the frame of reference. To an observer on the ground, the fly would appear to be flying faster than the plane. To an observer on the plane, the plane is standing still and the fly is moving, so the fly would still appear to be flying faster. However, when considering the frame of reference of the air around them, the plane is actually flying faster than the fly. This concept of reference frames also applies to other scenarios, such as the speed of a person on a train or a boat. Ultimately, it all comes down to the principle of inertia and how motion is measured relative to something else.
dorkymichelle
My dad asked me this yesterday,
if a fly(insect) flies from one end to the airplane to another, would it be flying faster than the airplane?
The obvious answer is no, it's physically impossible, but how do I articulate the reasoning, I know it has something to do with the reference frame of where the fly is flying...
but if you are on the ground and the airplane is clear and you see the fly flying, would it seem like the fly is flying faster than the plane?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it depends how you interpret the question.

To an observer on the ground the fly is indeed moving faster than the plane. When you walk to the bathroom on the plane you are also moving faster than the plane, although you are both ON the plane, so it won't be such a shock to the ground observer to find out your speeds.

To an observer on the plane, the plane is standing still, and the fly is moving. So again, the fly is moving faster. Again, it's not a shock because the observer on the plane understands that the fly is ON the plane, and he will give all the credit for the speed to the airplane, not the fly. The fly is not doing anything extraordinary. The airplane is. Indeed, the observer understands this so much that he will most likely switch reference frames when comparing their speeds: he will look out the window when checking how fast the airplane is moving, and he will look inside the cabin to see how fast the fly is "moving". He will then, for his own sanity, calculate that the plane is moving at ~500mph, where as the fly is "moving" at 1mph...although technically the fly is indeed moving at 501mph.

However, what does the word "flying" mean? Pilots are generally interested in their airspeeds...how fast they are moving with respect to the air that is directly around them. In this case the airplane is obviously "flying" faster than the fly...although the fly is still moving faster. That's probably what your concept of "flying" is, and hence why you think it's physically impossible for a fly to "fly" faster than a jet.

Sorry if I confused you, but as you said, it has to do with frames of reference. Strictly speaking, when comparing objects' speeds you should stick to one frame. For your own convenience, however, you may switch between frames but you should always be aware of doing so.

Last edited:
This is, to me, a great example of "reference frames"

from the perspective of someone on the ground, then yes, the fly is flying faster than the plane.

dorkymichelle said:
The obvious answer is no, it's physically impossible,
Why? I am riding a train right now.

Are you telling me it is physically impossible for me to be moving at 60mph?

The fly is moving faster or slower relative to the ground, depending on the direction it's flying within the plane.

KingNothing said:
The fly is moving faster or slower relative to the ground, depending on the direction it's flying within the plane.

Yeah that's right.

dorkymichelle said:
If a fly(insect) flies from one end to the airplane to another, would it be flying faster than the airplane?
Note that "flying" implies the speed of something relative to the air it flies in, so with the way this question is worded, the answer would be no. So the frame of reference for the fly is the air inside the airplane, while the frame of reference for the airplane is the air surrounding the airplane. The fly is probably flying at around 5 mph in the air it flies in, while a commecial airplane flies at 350 mph to 500 mph or so in the air it flies in. If you start including frames of reference, there's the jet stream speed, the surface speed of the Earth as it rotates, the oribtal speed of the Earth around the sun, the orbital speed of the sun around the center of the Milky Way, ...

rcgldr said:
Note that "flying" implies the speed of something relative to the air it flies in, so with the way this question is worded, the answer would be no. So the frame of reference for the fly is the air inside the airplane, while the frame of reference for the airplane is the air surrounding the airplane. The fly is probably flying at around 5 mph in the air it flies in, while a commecial airplane flies at 350 mph to 500 mph or so in the air it flies in. If you start including frames of reference, there's the jet stream speed, the surface speed of the Earth as it rotates, the oribtal speed of the Earth around the sun, the orbital speed of the sun around the center of the Milky Way, ...

I always wondered this. So if the fly could just hover in the middle of the aeroplane, would it continue to be pulled along at the speed of the aeroplane or would it eventually hit the end wall? Going on your reply I'd think the air inside the plane was moving at the same speed as the plane, so even if the fly just hovered there it would be carried along at the same speed?

Inertial reference frames aren't undergoing acceleration. Inertia: velocity doesn't change w/o outside force. Motion is measured relative to something else. So, if you're on a boat and you throw an apple in the air, it falls stright down since there wasn't a force acting on it (neglecting air friction or negligible forces). It's inertia hasn't changed.

Same thing happens on land, except on land the person on the boat who throws the apple looks like his apple is moving with him.
It's a consequence of inertia and the fact that only an external force can alter inertia. Your reference frame is inertial if it's not accelerating, otherwise if it's accelerating it "looks like" some force is pushing it the opposite direction of the acceleration.

Kaldanis said:
I always wondered this. So if the fly could just hover in the middle of the aeroplane, would it continue to be pulled along at the speed of the aeroplane or would it eventually hit the end wall? Going on your reply I'd think the air inside the plane was moving at the same speed as the plane, so even if the fly just hovered there it would be carried along at the same speed?

Yes. No need to overthink it: when you're in an airplane, you can't tell - by motion of air, or by motion of flies - that you're moving at all.

Kaldanis said:

This is so important in physics. What you are thinking about has been thought by Galileo in the 16th Century. It is this analysis that has made Galileo formulate the concept of relative motion.

What you have to understand is that "all inertial frames of reference are on equal footing." The plane is an inertial frame (assuming its moving at a constant velocity in a straight line) and so is the surface of the Earth (approximately). There is no difference between the fly flying at 10 mph inside the plane or 10 mph relative to the surface of the Earth because they are both inertial frames of reference.

If the fly were to eventually hit the end wall of the plane, then that means one reference frame, the surface of the Earth, is more superior than the plane's reference frame. That is simply wrong. Motion is relative and all inertial frames of reference are on equal footing.

What is the speed of a fly on an airplane?

The speed of a fly on an airplane can vary depending on the type of airplane, altitude, and airspeed. However, on average, a fly on an airplane can travel at a speed of 300-600 miles per hour, which is equivalent to the speed of the airplane.

Does the fly's speed change if the airplane accelerates or decelerates?

Yes, the fly's speed will change if the airplane accelerates or decelerates. This is because the fly is inside the airplane and is moving along with it. If the airplane speeds up, the fly will also speed up, and if the airplane slows down, the fly will also slow down.

How does the air pressure affect the fly's speed on an airplane?

The air pressure inside an airplane is typically kept at a level that is comfortable for passengers. This means that the air pressure is not significantly different from that on the ground. Therefore, the air pressure does not have a significant impact on the fly's speed on an airplane.

Can a fly on an airplane fly faster than the airplane itself?

No, a fly on an airplane cannot fly faster than the airplane itself. This is because the fly is inside the airplane and is moving along with it. The airplane's speed is the maximum speed that the fly can travel at while on the airplane.

Is the speed of a fly on an airplane affected by turbulence?

Yes, the speed of a fly on an airplane can be affected by turbulence. Turbulence can cause the airplane to shake or move abruptly, which can also affect the fly's speed. However, the fly's speed will typically adjust to match the speed of the airplane, so it may not be noticeable to passengers.