1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of a Molecule Question

1. Oct 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a gas-phase N2 molecule. It's RMS speed is given by

Vrms = (3kT/m)^(1/2)

What speed would the gas molecule have if it had the same energy as a photon of the following wavelengths of IR, visible, UV and X-Ray electromagnetic radiation?

lambda = 1.000E4nm, 500nm, 100nm, 0.10nm

2. Relevant equations

E=hc, E=hc/lambda E = (mv^2)/2 , not sure if we should use lambda = h / p (momentum)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I don't know how to use the Vrms equation that is given in the problem. I am not sure if we need to use it at all (Btw, this in the first problem set of my pchem class so it should be pretty easy, I am just not sure if I am doing it right).

E = hc/lambda, using this equation we can find the energy of the gas molecule if it had the wavelength given in the problem.

Once we find the energy E we can use KE = 1/2mv^2 to some for v.

I am not sure if we are supposed to use this method or use the Debroglie equation where lambda = h / mv and solve for velocity that way.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is how I would solve it. Not sure why they bothered with the vrms equation :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook