Speed of Particle: Conservation of Momentum & Energy

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a particle of rest mass m being accelerated to a kinetic energy K and colliding with a stationary target particle of the same rest mass. The question asks for tips on how to solve part a and part b of the problem, which involve finding the speed of the center of mass and the mass of the resulting composite in a perfectly inelastic collision. The conservation of momentum and energy equations are used to solve the problem, and the non-relativistic case is also considered.
mike217
Can you please give me a few pointers on this problem.

A particle of rest mass m is accelerated to a kinetic energy K in a nuclear reactor. This particle is incident on a stationary target particle, also of rest mass m.

a) Show that the speed of the centre of mass (that is the speed of the frame in which the total momentum is zero) is [tex]\gamma v/(\gamma +1)[/tex] where v is the speed of the incident particle and [tex] \gamma =(1-v^2/c^2)^-1/2[/tex]. Verify that this expression reduces to the usual one in the non relativistic case when v<<c.

b) If the collision is perfectly inelastic-show by using the conservation of energy and momentum that the mass M of the resulting composite is [tex]M=m\sqrt{2(\gamma +1)} [/tex] Verify that this reduces to the usual value in the non relativistic case v<<c.

For part 'a' I get by writing the conservation of momentum:

[tex] Pbefore=mv/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}[/tex] and [tex] Pafter=MV/\sqrt{1-V^2/c^2}[/tex] after that I am stuck on what to do.

For part 'b' I get,

[tex] mc^2/\sqrt{(1-v^2/c^2)} + mc^2=Mc^2/\sqrt{(1-V^2/c^2)} [/tex]

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Please you don't have to solve this question. I just need a few tips on how to proceed, i.e. which particle to take as one having zero momentum etc.

Thank you.

Sure, here are some pointers to help you with this problem:

a) To start, you can use the conservation of momentum in the x-direction to set up an equation:

Pbefore = Pafter

where Pbefore is the momentum of the incident particle and Pafter is the momentum of the resulting composite. You can also use the definition of momentum P = mv/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2} to rewrite this equation as:

mv/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2} = MV/\sqrt{1-V^2/c^2}

Then, you can solve for V in terms of v and M by rearranging the equation. Once you have V in terms of v and M, you can use the definition of \gamma to simplify the expression and get the desired result.

b) For this part, you can use the conservation of energy and momentum to set up two equations:

Energy before = Energy after
Momentum before = Momentum after

Using the definitions of energy E = \sqrt{m^2c^4 + p^2c^2} and momentum P = mv/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}, you can rewrite these equations in terms of v and V. Then, you can solve for V in terms of v and M, and use the definition of \gamma to simplify the expression and verify the result.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

What is the speed of a particle?

The speed of a particle is the rate at which it moves in a specific direction. It is measured in units of distance per unit of time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a system where there are no external forces acting on the objects, the total momentum before and after a collision will be the same.

How does conservation of momentum relate to the speed of particles?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant. This means that if two particles collide, their combined momentum before the collision must equal their combined momentum after the collision. This can affect the speed of the particles, as their individual masses and velocities will determine the overall momentum of the system.

What is the relationship between speed of particles and energy?

The speed of particles and energy are closely related. In a closed system, the total energy of the system remains constant. This means that as the speed of particles changes, so does their kinetic energy. In a collision, some of the kinetic energy of the particles may be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

How can the speed of particles be calculated?

The speed of particles can be calculated using the formula speed = distance/time. In a closed system, the speed of particles can also be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m is the mass and v is the velocity of the particles before and after the collision.