1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of a point

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (see attachment)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to calculate the velocity of point P in x direction (to the left). For the speed, I need to find the velocity in y direction (vertically up). Here is my attempt:
    At t=0, the distance of point P from O is l, let at time t, the angle POR be ##\theta##. The displacement is ##y=l(\sin \theta -1)##. Differentiating this equation, ##\frac{dy}{dt}=l \cos \theta \cdot \frac{d \theta}{dt}##. The term dθ/dt is equal to the angular velocity but I don't know the radius of curvature of its path which I have to use in the formula ω=vr, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the velocity in x direction and r is the radius of curvature.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2

tms

How far does P get from O after t =0?

4. Feb 4, 2013 #3
    ##l \cos \theta##.

5. Feb 4, 2013 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

You're overcomplicating things. Let ∠SUT = 2θ (so you're looking for what happens when θ = 45 deg).

Take O as the origin.

Let ##u_x, u_y, p_x, p_y## be (respectively), the co-ordinates of U and P at time t.

Can you find simple expressions for those in terms of l and θ? (except that ##u_y## is simply constant at zero).

Can you find ##\frac{du_x}{dt}## in terms of ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}## using Chain Rule? Hence rearrange to determine a numerical value for ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}## at the instant of interest.

Can you differentiate ##p_x, p_y## wrt t to find the instantaneous horizontal and vertical velocities of P?

Now use Pythagoras theorem to find the resultant speed.

6. Feb 4, 2013 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Find the coordinates of P in terms of the angle. The velocity components are the time derivatives of coordinates.

ehild

Edit:Curious beat me ...

7. Feb 5, 2013 #6
    Thanks a lot Curious, that solved the problem. :smile:

The velocity of P in both the directions come out to be same!

8. Feb 5, 2013 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

That's because the sine and cosine of 45 deg are the same! :wink:

9. Feb 5, 2013 #8

tms

Not the x coordinate, but the distance from O. I was just trying to point out that P moves in a circle.

10. Feb 5, 2013 #9
    Yep, didn't notice that at all. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook