1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of a snowball

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A snowball which is thrown horizontally from the top of a building that is 14.0m high lands 22.0m from the base of the building. How fast was the snowball traveling when it was thrown from the building?

2. Relevant equations

dh= Vh * Δt
    dv= 1/2 * at2
    g=9.8m/s

3. The attempt at a solution

So I started off by finding the time by solving for t in the dv equation given above. I found that t=1.7seconds

I then took that value and plugged it into the dh equation to solve for the velocity with respect to the horizontal. And I also replaced dh=22.0m from what the problem gives us.

Vh= 13.0 m/s which is our answer we are looking for!

I am posting this question just to ask if anyone would be able to verify my work and that the significant figures are respected! Thanks so much in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

yep, you got it all correct. pretty neat, too (which will make the teacher happy). To make the teacher more impressed, you could have arranged the equations so that you only have to do one calculation at the end of the problem, without explicitly calculating t. But doing it your way was fine too.

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook