Speed of a wave on a string

In summary, the mass of a string is 9.00 10-3 kg and it is under tension of 120 N. A transverse wave with a frequency of 260 Hz and a wavelength of 0.60 m travels on this string. To find the length of the string, the velocity must be calculated using the equation velocity = frequency * wavelength. After calculating the velocity to be 156 m/s, it can be plugged into the equation velocity = square root (F/(m/L)). Solving for L gives a length of approximately 0.038 m.
sheri1987

Homework Statement

The mass of a string is 9.00 10-3 kg, and it is stretched so the tension in it is 120 N. A transverse wave traveling on this string has a frequency of 260 Hz and a wavelength of 0.60 m. What is the length of the string?

Homework Equations

1)velocity = frequency*wavelength
2)velocity = sqroot(F/(m/L))

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought i needed to calculate the velocity first, so I used the frequency of 260 * wavelength of .6 and got 156 m/s...then I plugged that in for v into the second equation and also 9.00E-3 as the mass and F is equal to the 120 ...what am I doing wrong, I tried solving for L?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you are correct so far... why do think you are wrong?
Just solve for L, being careful to treat the velocity correctly...

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve this problem on your own. Your approach is correct, but there might be some calculation errors in your solution.

To find the length of the string, we need to use the equation v = √(F/(m/L)), where v is the velocity, F is the tension, m is the mass of the string, and L is the length of the string. We can rearrange this equation to solve for L, which gives us L = (F/m)*(1/v^2).

Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get L = (120 N)/(9.00E-3 kg)*(1/(156 m/s)^2) = 0.054 m.

Therefore, the length of the string is 0.054 m. It is always important to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units. In this case, the units for velocity should be m/s, so make sure to convert 156 m/s to the correct units before plugging it into the equation.

I can confirm that your approach to solving this problem is correct. The equation you used, velocity = frequency*wavelength, is the correct formula for calculating the velocity of a wave on a string.

Your calculation of 156 m/s for the velocity is also correct. However, when you plug that value into the second equation, you made a mistake in your units. The units for the tension, F, are in Newtons (N), and the units for the mass, m, are in kilograms (kg). Therefore, when you plug in 156 m/s for velocity, you need to convert the tension from 120 N to kg by dividing by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2):

120 N / 9.8 m/s^2 = 12.24 kg

Now, when you plug in the values for velocity and mass into the equation, you should get a value for the length of the string:

156 m/s = sqroot(12.24 kg/(L))

Solving for L, we get:

L = (12.24 kg)/(156 m/s)^2 = 0.0049 m

Therefore, the length of the string is 0.0049 m or 4.9 mm. It is important to always check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations. I hope this helps!

1. What factors affect the speed of a wave on a string?

The speed of a wave on a string is affected by the tension of the string, the mass of the string, and the wavelength of the wave. The more tension there is in the string, the faster the wave will travel. A heavier string will also result in a slower wave speed, while a lighter string will result in a faster wave speed. The wavelength of the wave also plays a role, with longer wavelengths resulting in slower wave speeds and shorter wavelengths resulting in faster wave speeds.

2. How does the speed of a wave on a string change with frequency?

The speed of a wave on a string is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency of the wave increases, the speed of the wave will also increase. Similarly, as the frequency decreases, the speed of the wave will decrease.

3. What is the relationship between the speed of a wave on a string and its amplitude?

The speed of a wave on a string is not affected by its amplitude. This means that a wave with a larger amplitude will travel at the same speed as a wave with a smaller amplitude.

4. How does the speed of a wave on a string differ in different mediums?

The speed of a wave on a string is affected by the medium it is traveling through. In general, waves will travel faster in denser materials. For example, a wave on a string will travel faster in water than in air.

5. Can the speed of a wave on a string be greater than the speed of light?

No, the speed of a wave on a string cannot exceed the speed of light. The speed of light is the fastest speed at which any object or information can travel, and the speed of a wave on a string is limited by the properties of the medium it is traveling through.