1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of a wave problem

1. Dec 2, 2006 #1
    The figure shows a snapshot graph of a wave traveling to the right along a string at 45 m/s. Find velocity at 1, 2, and 3

I don't know how to approach this problem since I thought the speed of a wave traveled the same speed on all of the string but it tells me that 45m/s is wrong.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2006 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think they are asking for the vertical velocity of the matter point on the string... You have all the elements: you know the phase velocity and wavelength of the wave, and from the figure you can also read its amplitude (and phase). Write down the mathematical expression for the wave (hint: will be something like sin or cos of something), and then look at the motion of a point at fixed value of x...

4. Dec 2, 2006 #3
    they have a equation that says Vy=-omega*Acos(kx-omega*t+phase constant)
    I dont know what t or x stand for so how would I calculate this and isn't A at the point 0 equal to 0 therefore the velocity should be 0. I dont get how this equation is used and I cant find an example of it.

5. Dec 2, 2006 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:confused:
    t stands for time, and x stands for the x-coordinate (along the wave motion) of course !

6. Dec 2, 2006 #5
    I know what they stand for but I dont know what they are. How do I find these values? Also what do I do about A since it should be 0 at the point 0 so shouldn't the answer be 0. Everytime I try this equation I get the wrong answer.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  7. Dec 2, 2006 #6
    Anyone have any more advice on this problem please.

8. Dec 2, 2006 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since you have the speed of the wave and the wavelength, you should be able to figure out the frequency.

A is the amplitude of the wave--it's not zero.
    You might need to review what the equation means; try reading Traveling Wave Parameters

9. Oct 29, 2007 #8
    Velocity of Points

I am trying to create the equation for the line like you said, i have solved values for A, f, w, and k. However, I cannot find the phase constant. Also, once I do have the equation, how it help me find the velocity at the different points?

Thanks in advance.

10. Oct 30, 2007 #9
    How do you find t in this question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?