1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of an electron

1. Jun 20, 2007 #1
    I have a question here where a potential difference is applied to a stationary electron. I have calculated the energy translated to the electron already and I know the mass energy of the electron.

If I want to find its final speed I assume that I use a rearrangement of the relativistic formula? And if so, what value would I use for Energy? Would it simply be the total energy : mass energy + translated energy?

Thanks for any help

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are many formulas you can use,

[tex] E_{tot} = E_{k} + mc^{2} = \gamma mc^{2} [/tex]

[tex] \gamma = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}} [/tex]

remember that you can not take the rest mass of the electron in the expression of the kinetic energy.

4. Jun 20, 2007 #3
    Would that be Ek as in translated kinetic energy?

5. Jun 20, 2007 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well E_k is kinetic energy, what you mean by "translated kinetic energy" I do not know.

You can also use this:

(E_tot)^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2

where p is the momentum:
    p = gamma * mv, v is velocity.

And from this we can get:

v = c * sqrt[1 - (mc^2 / E_tot)^2 ]

6. Jun 20, 2007 #5
    I see... So if I have calculated the kinetic energy of an electron to be for example 6 x 10^-12J, then I can calculate the total energy as

(6 x 10^-12J) + mass of electron * speed of light^2 ?

And once this is established I can use one of the formulas to give me v?

7. Jun 20, 2007 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you calculate the kinetic energy of electron?

You took:

Potential (electrical) energy = qV, where V is the electric poteintal, and then
    qV = Kinetic energy?

Well then it is ok, and if you want to find out the velocity of the electron, you must calculate relativistic. (if the kinetic energy is approx 10% or more of the rest mass energy of electron)

8. Jun 20, 2007 #7
    yes thats exactly it.... potential difference(100V) x charge of electron(q).

I understand that relativistic formulas are used when the particles speed become close to the speed of light. Is this right? Otherwise the classic Newtonian formula 1/2 mv^2 can be used?

9. Jun 20, 2007 #8

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, as I said, when the kinetic energy is apporx 10% or more, it may be good to use relativistic. The bigger the E_k is compared to the rest mass, the better to use the relativistic =)

10. Jun 20, 2007 #9
    Many thanks for your assistance

11. Jul 20, 2007 #10
    Hi there, sorry if this sounds like a noob question but why can't you use Newtonian formula at speeds close to c :confused:

12. Jul 20, 2007 #11

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?