How fast is an ocean wave with given displacement and time function?

In summary, the problem asks to find the speed of an ocean wave given its vertical displacement function and all quantities in SI units. The solution involves using the definition of wave speed, v=λf, and relating it to the amplitude, angular frequency, and wave number given in the original function. The final equation for wave speed is v = ω/k, where ω is the angular frequency and k is the wave number. It is important to differentiate between wave speed and the velocity of vertical movement.
forestmine

Homework Statement

Find the speed of an ocean wave whose vertical displacement y as a function of time t is given by y(x,t) = 3.7 cos(2.2x - 5.6t), where all quantities are in SI units.

Homework Equations

v=-ωAsin(kx-ωt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not at all sure where to begin with this one. I'm not even sure if my derivative equation is correct...

Any direction at all would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
have you been introduced to the definition of "wave speed"?

I believe so. The wave speed is the speed at which the disturbance propagates throughout the medium...v=λf. So that's the equation I need instead?

In that case, when you take the derivative of position and are given a velocity function, what exactly is that the velocity of? The speed something travels along the wave?

Your function y(x,t) tells you the height of the free surface at each position and time. By taking the derivative dy/dt, you've found the (vertical) velocity of the surface as it heaves up and down, but that isn't the same thing as the speed the wave crests move horizontally as they propagate. For that you need to look carefully at the definition v=λf. What can you tell about λ and f from your original expression: y(x,t) = 3.7 cos(2.2x - 5.6t) ?

Hm, I believe it gives me my amplitude, k, and angular frequency?

Aha! I got it! Since it gives us k and omega, we simply use the relation omega=2*pi*f and k=(2*pi)/lambda. And then substituting in for v=f*lambda gives us our answer.

I need to keep my wave speed vs. velocity of vertical movement straight...

Thank you so much!

You're welcome! \o/

What is the speed of an ocean wave?

The speed of an ocean wave can vary depending on several factors such as wind speed, water depth, and wavelength. On average, ocean waves travel at a speed of 10-15 miles per hour.

How is the speed of an ocean wave measured?

The speed of an ocean wave is typically measured in units of meters per second or miles per hour. This is done by using specialized instruments such as wave buoys or radar systems that can track the movement of waves.

What factors affect the speed of an ocean wave?

The speed of an ocean wave is affected by several factors including wind speed, water depth, and wavelength. Other factors such as ocean currents and bottom topography can also influence the speed of a wave.

Can the speed of an ocean wave be predicted?

Yes, scientists and meteorologists use various models and data to predict the speed of ocean waves. These predictions can help with marine activities such as shipping, fishing, and offshore operations.

What is the significance of knowing the speed of an ocean wave?

Knowing the speed of an ocean wave is important for several reasons. It can help with predicting weather patterns and ocean conditions, as well as understanding the movement of marine life and coastal erosion. It is also crucial for marine safety and navigation.