1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of efflux

1. Aug 23, 2004 #1
    Consider a large tank open to the air with a small opening near its bottom. Consider water flowing out of this tank through the opening. Why must the pressure near the surface and near the bottom be equal to atmopheric pressure?

As fluid elements travel down the tank, they will be accelerating. Therefore I don't see how one could apply the rule of thumb that the pressure between two interfaces should be equal.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2004 #2
    i think i got the idea. the pressure at the surface isn't equal to atmospheric pressure. But it doesn't matter because it is the pressure of the air that is pertinent in bernoulli's equation since the eq uses the pressure applied at the front and rear of the flow tube by its surroundings (which need not be another fluid element).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?