1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of electron

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two electrons separated by 2*10^(-10)m are released from rest. What is the speed of each electron when they are a large distance apart. (Both electrons will have the same speed.) The answer should be 1.13*10^(6)m/s.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure what formula to use. If I were given kinetic energy I think I could figure this one out, but can't with the info given. Any help on where to start?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2010 #2
    The relevant equations are the equations for electrical potential energy and kinetic energy.
    At a large distance apart, all of the potential energy stored at the start (when the e- are separated by 2*10^(-10) m) have been converted to kinetic energy.
  4. Jan 27, 2010 #3
    Some large distance probably refers to infinite. Find the initial energy of the system, which would be the electric potential energy, U. At infinite, U would mostly convert to kinetic energy, K.

If your answer exceeds the speed of light (or comes considerably close), you might want to add relativistic adjustments.
  5. Jan 27, 2010 #4
    Yes. I had forgotten to mention relativistic adjustments as well. Also keep in mind that the electron has an elementary charge (this will be useful when determining the electric potential energy.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook