Speed of EM waves in material

In summary, there was a confusion about the calculation for the speed of an EM wave in an insulating ferromagnetic material with given values for relative permeability and permittivity. It was thought that the product of the values and constants was incorrect, but it was later confirmed that it was a mistake and the correct calculation gives a much higher speed. However, it was also noted that the material and scenario may have been fictional for teaching purposes. Another example of a fictional scenario was mentioned where the de Broglie wavelength of an Ewok running on Endor with a large value of Planck's constant was calculated and the implications were discussed.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

An EM wave with frequency 87Mhz travels in an insulating ferromagnetic material with [itex]\mu_0 \mu_r = 1000[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_0 \epsilon_r = 10[/itex] - What is the speed of the EM wave in the material.

Homework Equations

[itex]v=(\sqrt{\mu_0 \mu_r \epsilon_0 \epsilon_r})^{-1}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A I am really confused, well kind of, I am wondering whether in the text for part A they made a mistake and it should be just mu_r=1000 and just epsilon_r=10 , instead of the product of them and the constants sub0. Because if I do it as in the question I get a speed of 0.01m/s as shown below.

[itex]
v=\frac{1}{\sqrt{10 \times 1000}} = 0.01 m/s
[/itex]

But if I take it to be the relative values on their own I get a much higher value as shown below.

[itex]
v=\frac{1}{\sqrt{8.85\times 10^{-12} \times 1000 \times 4 \times \pi \times 10^{-7} \times 10 }} = 2.99 \times 10^6 m/s
[/itex]

So my question really, is it possible to have such slow propagating EM waves in materials like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your intuition is good - ferrites typically have speeds of order 10^6m/s.
You can look up typical values or permitivity and permiability for various ferrites online and compare.

The trouble is, you cannot rule out that the material here is fiction for the purpose of teaching/testing you.
You should ask someone.

note: relative permiability is sometimes written as ##\mu/\mu_0## which could be a source of a typo.

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
I think your intuition is good - ferrites typically have speeds of order 10^6m/s.
You can look up typical values or permitivity and permiability for various ferrites online and compare.

The trouble is, you cannot rule out that the material here is fiction for the purpose of teaching/testing you.
You should ask someone.

note: relative permiability is sometimes written as ##\mu/\mu_0## which could be a source of a typo.

Thanks. I emailed the lecturer on the basis of your reply and yeah, it was a mistake.

I get what you mean regarding it could have been a possible make believe scenario (thats why I wanted a second opinion) as they are prone to doing that. The other day on another modules homework we had to workout the de Broglie wavelength of an Ewok running on Endor where the 'h' has a value of 1000 Js! . (Sorry to detract from the OP) but knowing he would have a relatively large wavelength, what would the implications of that be, i.e. him running. Would he simply madly "interfere" with himself?

What is the speed of electromagnetic waves in a material?

The speed of electromagnetic waves in a material depends on the properties of the material, such as its density and permeability. In a vacuum, electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second. However, in a material, the speed of electromagnetic waves is slower, typically ranging from 2 x 10^8 to 3 x 10^8 meters per second.

How does the speed of electromagnetic waves in a material affect its transmission?

The speed of electromagnetic waves in a material affects its transmission by determining how quickly the waves can travel through the material. A higher speed means that the waves can travel a longer distance in a shorter amount of time, resulting in a faster transmission. On the other hand, a slower speed can lead to a slower transmission of the waves.

What factors can affect the speed of electromagnetic waves in a material?

The speed of electromagnetic waves in a material can be affected by a number of factors, including the type of material, its density, and its temperature. Additionally, the frequency and wavelength of the electromagnetic waves can also impact their speed in a material.

How does the speed of electromagnetic waves in a material relate to the refractive index?

The refractive index of a material is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when it passes through that material. Therefore, the speed of electromagnetic waves in a material is inversely proportional to its refractive index. This means that the higher the refractive index, the slower the speed of electromagnetic waves in that material.

What is the significance of understanding the speed of electromagnetic waves in a material?

Understanding the speed of electromagnetic waves in a material is crucial in various fields, such as telecommunications, optics, and electronics. It allows scientists and engineers to design and optimize materials for specific purposes, such as creating faster and more efficient communication systems or developing advanced technologies for medical imaging.