1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of field ?

1. Mar 20, 2007 #1
    "speed of field"?

Is it correct to say that a field (i.e. electric) travels at the speed of light?
    We've been taught that only electromagnetic radiation in a vacuum travels so can we say that the effect of E travels at c also?
    I always thought this to be the case but someone argued that fields are not physical and are 'just there'. Can anyone elaborate please?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2007 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It is better to say that changes in a field propagate at some speed. For electric and magnetic fields in a vacuum, that speed is c.

4. Mar 20, 2007 #3
    ok that makes sense now.
    I was a little confused because when using retarded times, it appears that the potential or field 'influences' at c but it's really because when using retarded times, a charge is moving and therefore the field is changing (and the change propagates at c).
    thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook