Speed of Gravity: Experts' Opinion

In summary, according to some sources, the speed of gravity is equal to the speed of light, while other sources say it is at least 2^10 faster. We don't currently have the technology to detect gravitational waves, but experiments are almost underway (LIGO) that have a good chance of doing so. It is my belief that gravity acts out of a higher dimensional space that is separate from Minkowsky space.
Chronos said:
Did you have a non-GR take in mind?
Yes QFT, LQG.

Chronos said:
Agreed, gravity is not a force in the usual sense under GR, so, what is your point?
That I think I have some idea of how GR does its thing? :biggrin:

pervect said:
What on Earth makes you think that?
I don't. It's actually something I have read.
With a light speed graviton the force vector points in the wrong direction.

Also, it seems to be the reason for the question "What's the speed of gravity?" in the first place.

Does this question of the speed of gravity arise from some other source?
Am I supposed to accept that gravitons are not limited to the speed of light?
Is there some way, retaining the speed of light, to handle this?
Are these quantum gravity theories just plain wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
bayan said:
hah!

lets get sirous now.

i was kidding about the second part, but with the first part wouldn't they be attracted to each other? when i say "act like magnet" i do not mean that they have "+" & "-" ends. Rather what i meant was that they will get "pulled towars each other". If there is an explenation why it is not like that please post.
As there are no magnetic monopoles (at least, no experimental evidence of such), one cannot ignore the 'dipole' nature of magnets and magnetism 'just because'. Further, since there are no monopoles, it's very easy to demonstrate that magnetic fields don't follow the inverse square law (gravity does). Finally, there are an awful lot of 'pulled towards each other' things out in the universe - gravity, electrostatic, magnetic, springs, surface tension, ... - one needs to go at least a tiny step further before sharing 'ideas before morning coffee' with others, especially in PF. :grumpy:

bayan 0, Einstein+Newton 2