Speed of Hydrogen threw a tube

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the Reynolds number and friction factor for a 1/16" tube with a maximum pressure difference of 50 PSI. The process involves making assumptions about temperature, tube length, and surface roughness, and using equations to calculate the velocity and Reynolds number. Iterations may be necessary to converge on a solution, and a pressure difference greater than 2 will result in the tube being choked and the velocity being the speed of sound.
xJuggleboy
How fast can Hydrogen be pushed threw a 1/16" tube? we have a maximun pressure diffrence of about 50PSI from one side of the tube to the other.

And how can I calculate the reynolds number for the tube?

Engineering news on Phys.org
How long is the tube?

You're going to have to assume a friction factor and calculate the velocity using

[tex]\Delta P = f \frac{L}{D} \frac{1}{2} \rho V^2[/tex]

Once you calculate a first velocity, calculate the resulting Reynolds number using [tex] RE = \frac{\rho V D}{\mu}[/tex]

Once you have your Reynolds Number, then go to the Moody chart and see what the resultant friction factor is and compare it to your original estimate. If it is close you can stop. If not, get the new friction factor and then go back and redo the entire process with the new friction factor. It may take a few iterations before the friction factors and Reynolds numbers converge to a solution.

Last edited:
I made some assumptions:
- Compressibility neglegted
- T= 70°F
- smooth surface roughness in the tube
- I used the 1/16" as the ID (because I'm too lazy to look up the ID, that's why).
- I assumed a length of 12 inches for the tube
- The tube is straight

Under those conditions, I calculated

[tex]\rho_{H2} = .0177 \frac{Lb_m}{ft^3}[/tex]

and

[tex]\mu_{H2} = 4.367x10^{-6} \frac{Lb_m}{ft*s}[/tex]

I took an initial swag of f=.03 and ran the numbers. If I didn't fat finger the numbers, I get a V = 108.5 ft/sec. That resulted in a RE = 2292 and in the laminar flow regime. That means you could get away with the approximation of [tex]f = \frac{64}{RE}[/tex] which gives you a new f = .0279.

That should get you going in the general area. I am sure someone will let me know if my numbers are off. By feel, I think they're not too unreasonable...

Last edited:
When the pressure difference is P1/P2 > 2 than the line will be chocked and the local velocity will be the velocity of sound.

1. What factors affect the speed of hydrogen through a tube?

The speed of hydrogen through a tube can be affected by several factors, including the pressure and temperature of the gas, the diameter and length of the tube, and the presence of any obstacles or bends in the tube.

2. Does the type of tube material affect the speed of hydrogen?

Yes, the type of tube material can have an impact on the speed of hydrogen. Different materials may have different levels of friction, which can affect the flow of the gas through the tube.

3. How is the speed of hydrogen through a tube measured?

The speed of hydrogen through a tube can be measured by using a flow meter or by calculating the volumetric flow rate of the gas. This involves measuring the volume of gas that passes through the tube in a given amount of time.

4. Can the speed of hydrogen through a tube be increased?

Yes, the speed of hydrogen through a tube can be increased by increasing the pressure or temperature of the gas, using a larger diameter and shorter length tube, and minimizing any obstacles or bends in the tube.

5. What applications rely on the speed of hydrogen through a tube?

The speed of hydrogen through a tube is important in various applications, such as in fuel cells, gas transportation and distribution, and in the production of hydrogen gas for industrial and scientific purposes.