1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of jet plane

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    Problem:

You see a jet plane flying and you think that it is flying at a constant altitude h. Say you hear the sonic boom at a time t after the plane passes directly overhead. Show that if the speed of sound v is the same at all altitudes, the speed of the plane is

v_s=hv/sqrt(h^2-v^2*T^2)

Partial Solution:

The sound travels a distance vT and the plane travels a distance v_s*T before the boom is found. Correct? However, I need to relate this to the height. If you assume h^2=(vT)^2+(v_s*T)^2. Since the speed of sound is the same at all altitude then the boom forms a perfect cone with angle θ with the ground. Then substituting in sinθ=v/v_s you can easily get the expression. However I don't fully understand the assumption h^2=(vT)^2+(v_s*T)^2 because geometrically it doesn't make sense to me. Any insight?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why would you assume that? Pythagoras wouldn't have.

4. Feb 28, 2013 #3
    As I stated, with that assumption I get the identity as given. If you also go back and read the question, I ask for insight on the geometric significance of that assumption.

5. Feb 28, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks like my hint was too subtle. Draw the diagram on which you based that equation. Which is the hypotenuse?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted