Increase N in Optical Fiber: Effects on Speed of Light

In summary, increasing the number of photons in an optical fiber slows the speed of light down. You have to analyze carefully the way the light interacts with electrons in the medium to figure out why this happens.
dervast
Hi do u know if we increase the n in an optical fiber why the optical distance becomes bigger?

Now only this but why when we increase n the light goes slower and slower... How can we prove that? I know that n=c/u but still i need more explanation

Science news on Phys.org
Can u please help me with that?

Showing u=-c/n usually takes several pages in an EM physics text.
You will just have to read some physics.

dervast said:
Hi do u know if we increase the n in an optical fiber why the optical distance becomes bigger?

(I assume by "optical distance" you mean what English-language physics textbooks call the "optical path length".) It's because we define optical path length to equal the actual length times the index of refraction (n). We define it this way so that equal optical path lengths always contain equal numbers of wavelengths for the same frequency. This makes it easier to analyze interference in situations where light passes through different media with different n's.

The wavelength of light in a medium varies directly with n. The frequency stays the same while the speed varies inversely with n, which leads to your next question...

Now only this but why when we increase n the light goes slower and slower... How can we prove that?

You have to analyze carefully the way the light interacts with electrons in the medium. Very broadly speaking, some of the incoming light is absorbed by electrons in the medium. The electrons radiate new light. The remaining incoming light and the new radiated light interfere in such a way that the resultant wave in the medium has a different phase velocity from the incoming light.

The above is the classical picture, in terms of classical electromagnetic waves. If you want a quantum-mechanical picture using photons, I'll let someone else try. I don't know enough quantum electrodynamics.

Last edited:

1. How does increasing the N in optical fiber affect the speed of light?

Increasing the N in optical fiber refers to increasing the refractive index of the material that makes up the fiber. This results in a slower speed of light through the fiber, as the higher refractive index causes the light to bend and travel a longer path.

2. What is the relationship between N and the speed of light in optical fiber?

The speed of light in a material is inversely proportional to the refractive index of that material. This means that as the refractive index (N) increases, the speed of light decreases.

3. Does increasing N always result in a slower speed of light in optical fiber?

Yes, increasing the refractive index (N) will always result in a slower speed of light in optical fiber. This is due to the nature of light and its interaction with different materials.

4. Are there any benefits to increasing N in optical fiber?

Increasing the refractive index (N) in optical fiber can have benefits in certain applications. For example, it can help reduce signal loss and improve the efficiency of data transmission. However, it also results in a decrease in the maximum possible speed of light through the fiber.

5. How does the N-value of optical fiber affect the overall performance of a network?

The N-value of optical fiber plays a significant role in determining the overall performance of a network. A higher N-value can result in slower transmission speeds, but also allows for longer distances between signal amplification. On the other hand, a lower N-value can result in faster transmission speeds, but may require more frequent signal amplification for longer distances.