Is the Speed of Light Constant in All Reference Frames?

In summary, the speed of light appears the same to all observers, no matter how they happen to be moving.
So you're saying that this question hasn't been answered before?

Science news on Phys.org
Well I was on the lines of deductive reasoning from the lack of response to your "How does the mechanism work?" question. I do not know for sure but I have done a little research with the resources I have since you posted this and the theory of relativity is concerned with how inertial observers view different events. The postulate Einstein assumes is "All inertial observers measure the same speed for light". Hence from this postulate alone the mechanism of how light is determined to be the same for all inertial observers is lost, in the fact that it is just assumed to be so.

Umm...should I take that as a yes?

So people just assumed it is true, because it works, but why and how exactly it works, they don't know?

Also, what does "inertial" mean? I'm sorry, English is not my native toungue.

I wouldn't like to put down a firm yes because I would not confess to knowing everything there is to know about it, but from my experience it has always been assumed as just being so and has not gone into the mechanics of the process (I invite someone to contradict me here).

An inertial observer is one who observes an event with no external force applied to it. So basically the inertial bit just means limited to cases with constant velocity.

Oh, okay. Let's see what others reply.

I see.

Well I don't think 0105 is a good time to be thinking of Relativity, so I'll check for replies tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Anyone care to help?

NanakiXIII said:
I think you formulated that wrong, or I'm misinterperting (I can never spell that word) it. He's walking 1m/s relative to the train. How could someone on the platform not agree? He may not be walking 1m/s relative to the platform, but we're talking about relative to the train.
You more or less have it: the only speed you can measure directly from your reference frame is the speed relative to you. Yes, the person on the platform can find the speed of the man relative to the train, but it requires two speed measurements (the speed of the walking man and the speed of the train relative to the platform) and a transformation equation (just subtract). This is analagous to the transformations done in SR.
a different killometer or a different second
'scuse me?

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but I didn't know there were different types of kilometers and seconds.
What you measure to be 1km (or 1sec) may very well be something altogether different to someone else. Keeping the train analogy, if those people (on the train and on the platform) in my thought experimen have a way to measure the speed of the walking man to a precision where Relativity matters, they will in fact disagree over how far, fast and long the man walks. The one thing they will always agree on (if they bounce lasers off of each other) is the speed of light.

Have I mentioned GPS yet (I always do)? GPS works by combining high precision time signals from several satellites in one reciever. Because of the precision required, Relativity comes into play. The clock rates are adjusted prior to launch according to the predictions of Relativity so that they will remain in sync when in orbit: when sitting on the ground, the clocks don't keep accurate time! This is one of the best examples of Einstein's Relativity in action.

Also, what does "inertial" mean? I'm sorry, English is not my native toungue.
An inertial frame of reference is one that is not accerating. And I'm shocked to hear English isn't your native tongue - you are quite fluent.

As for "why?" - I don't know. How far do you want to take that question? You only have to ask "why?" about 3 times before the answer becomes "it just is."

Last edited:
What exactly is "analogy" ?

What you measure to be 1km (or 1sec) may very well be something altogether different to someone else.
they will in fact disagree over how far, fast and long the man walks.

How could that be?

Have I mentioned GPS yet (I always do)?

I believe you have (or someone else did).

"it just is."

That's all I needed to know. Thanks.

And I'm shocked to hear English isn't your native tongue - you are quite fluent.

I watch too much TV.

NanakiXIII said:
What exactly is "analogy" ?
A comparison.
How could that be?
Time/space dilation.

RE: why?
Q: Why is the sky blue?
A: Well, nitrogen scatters the blue light in the atmosphere...
Q: Yeah, but why blue?
A: God likes blue.

"Why?" questions quickly lead to philosophy. Sometimes you just have to accept that that's the way the universe works. We have observed these things to be true.

I see. Thank you very much, everyone that replied.

jdavel said:
I don't think that's true. If the Michelson Morley epxeriement had detected a medium for light waves, why would the Galilean transfomations have needed to be replaced? What would have replaced them? Surely not the Lorentz transformations!
I read your question in too much haste. I think you meant, "if the MM exp. had found anisotropy (shifting of the interference pattern)." I was for some reason just reading it as, "if there were an ether." Well, I haven't thought about the "what if shifting interference" too much, so I don't know, but I suppose you're right, there wouldn't be anything immediate to suggest that the Galilean transformations were incorrect as an epistemic device.

don't get more confused

NanakiXIII said:
Now I'm not absolutely sure this is the right forum, but here goes.

I've been told that the relative speed of light is supposed to be the same in any reference frame. Is that true, and if so, how is that possible?
did u ever doubt the concepts of absolute space abnd absolute time when the Newton's laws were taught to u in u'r school.since every motion is relative in this universe these concepts were thrown out by modern physicsts.einstein replaced them with absolute speed and that is the speed of light.thus the speed of the beam emitted from a moving aircraft is not (vel of light +vel of aircraft) but only that of light. this is a factand have been proved by experiments.