Discovering the Speed of Light: Michaelson-Morley Experiment and Variations

In summary, the Michaelson-Morley experiment determined the speed of light to be constant regardless of the speed of the source.
optrix
I've been looking at the Michaelson-Morley experiment for determining the speed of light using an interferometer, and managed to find a boxplot diagram on wiki, showing the results of a number of attemps. Now I'd like to see a setup and results from a similar experiment that takes the light from sources at different speeds, thus confirming that the speed of light is constsnt no matter what the speed of the source.

I suppose it is only a very slight modification to the Michaelson-Morley experiment, having sources at different speeds, and the results must be similar if the speed of light is indeed constsnt, but does this experiment go by a different name or is there any webpages that focus on this specifically?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you may be missing the point: by orienting the device at different directions wrt the Earth's rotation and/or doing it at different times throughout the year, you can do the experiment many times, at many different speeds relative to the supposed fixed aether

It seems you want to make the light source move wrt the rest of the experimental apparatus. That wasn't the purpose of the experiment, but there are many practical devices that require such a setup, including the GPS system.

Ah ok I see your point thanks.

If you are interested in the magnitudes of change in GPS due to orbital velocities on one hand and the lower gravitational potential at satellite altitudes, you should be able to find data online. There are 'significant' corrections that must be made to maintain GPS accuracy to the roughly one meter range.

Thanks, but I'm only interested in (the experimental verification of) why the speed of light is constant. I thought the experiment arose from contradictions with Newtonian mechanics, i.e. for a light source moving 300m/s, the measured speed of light will be the same as for a stationary source, and so I thought that the speed of the source was varied w.r.t to measuring equipment. I'm not sure I fully understand the implications of the aether with this experiment actually.

Think of the aether like the air around you. If you are stationary and make a noise, the sound travels as a wave on the air, at about 750 mph. If you drive in a car at 50 mph, the speed of sound relative to the car is 700 mph forward and 800 mph backwards.

It seems like you are thinking of addition of velocity as if light were a particle. Ie, if you throw a baseball backwards at 50 mph from a car moving 50 mph, it drops straight down wrt a person standing on the ground. If you throw it forward, it moves at 100mph wrt a person on the ground. That isn't how light was believed to behave - light was believed to be a wave on a medium for the purpose of the MMX.

1. What is the Michaelson-Morley experiment and why is it significant?

The Michaelson-Morley experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in the late 19th century to measure the speed of light. It involved splitting a beam of light and sending it in different directions, with the goal of detecting any differences in the speed of light depending on the direction it was traveling. The experiment ultimately showed that the speed of light is constant, regardless of the direction it is traveling. This was significant because it disproved the prevailing theory at the time that light traveled through a medium called the "ether". It also laid the foundation for Albert Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How was the Michaelson-Morley experiment conducted?

The experiment involved using a beam splitter, which split a single beam of light into two separate beams. These beams were then sent in opposite directions along two perpendicular paths, with mirrors reflecting the light back to the starting point. The beams were then recombined and sent to a detector to measure any potential differences in the speed of light. This process was repeated multiple times with the equipment being rotated to different angles to ensure accuracy.

3. What were the results of the Michaelson-Morley experiment?

The experiment showed that there was no difference in the speed of light between the two perpendicular paths, regardless of the time of day or year. This result was unexpected, as it contradicted the prevailing belief that light traveled through the ether. The experiment was repeated multiple times with different equipment and variations, and each time the same result was obtained.

4. How did the Michaelson-Morley experiment contribute to our understanding of the speed of light?

The experiment provided evidence for the concept of the speed of light being a constant, rather than varying depending on the direction it is traveling. This was a significant breakthrough in the field of physics, as it led to the development of the theory of relativity and helped to shape our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.

5. Have there been any variations or follow-up experiments to the Michaelson-Morley experiment?

Yes, there have been numerous variations and follow-up experiments to the Michaelson-Morley experiment. Some notable examples include the Kennedy-Thorndike experiment, which used a different type of equipment and obtained similar results, and the Michelson-Gale-Pearson experiment, which tested for any potential differences in the speed of light due to the Earth's rotation. These experiments continue to be important in refining our understanding of the speed of light and its fundamental role in the laws of physics.