What is the range of response time when communicating with a friend from Mars?

In summary, the conversation discusses the distances and orbits of Mars and Earth around the sun. The minimum and maximum times for a reply from a friend on Mars are calculated using the formula T=D/V, with a minimum time of 260 seconds and a maximum time of 1260 seconds. The conversation also clarifies that 1 million km is equal to 10^9 meters.
louie3006
Q#1 : Mars and Earth orbit the sun at radii of 228 million km and 150 million Km , respectively. when, in the future, your friend from Mars calls you on the phone and you answer "Hello" what are the minimum and maximum times you will have to wait for your friend to reply ?

Physics news on Phys.org
So what have you done so far? There's a template for a reason.

What the maximum and minimum distances from Mars to Earth. T=D/V. Please at least try?

i did try:
2500x 10 ^9 /3x10^8(m/s) am i doing it the right way ?

2500x10^9 what? Meters, km? Put units on your distance. And how did you get 2500 anyway?

oh hold on I made a mistake here, t supposed to be 228 million Km/3x10^8(m/s)

Mars and Earth orbit on concentric roughly circular orbits around the sun. They can be either on the same side of the sun, in which case you would subtract the radiii, right? Or they could be on the opposite sides, in which case you would add them, yes? Draw a picture. But dividing distance by velocity is a good idea!

so I'm on the right track
and i thought that i needed to get delta radii, but then I've changed my mind.

Now finish. Or are you done?

after getting the differences between the radii, I proceed and divide that number by the speed of light, right ? but when it says "million Km, does it mean #X10^9" ?

1 million km=10^9 meters. 1km=10^3m. 1 million=10^6. If that's what you mean, yes.

ok, so this is how i get the minimum time : 78X10^9/3x10^8(m/s)= 260s
and the maximum : 378x10^9/3x10^8(m/s)= 1260s
so what do you think? am I correct?

yeah

yes, thank you all.

Actually, when you reply 'hello', your message has to get there, and the reply has to come back before you can hear your friend's reply.

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s) in a vacuum. This is considered to be the fastest possible speed in the universe.

Why is the speed of light important?

The speed of light is important because it is a fundamental constant in our universe. It plays a crucial role in many physical theories and laws, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, and has practical applications in fields such as telecommunications and astronomy.

How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light can be measured using various techniques, including the use of lasers, mirrors, and precise timing devices. One of the most common methods is the use of the Michelson-Morley experiment, which measures the speed of light by comparing the time it takes for light to travel between two points at different orientations.

Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to our current understanding of physics, the speed of light cannot be exceeded. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is a fundamental constant and is the maximum speed at which energy, matter, and information can travel in the universe.

How does the speed of light affect time and space?

The speed of light is a key factor in Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time and space are relative and can be affected by the speed of an object. As an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down and space appears to contract. This phenomenon has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is crucial to our understanding of the universe.