Speed of light. I NEED HELP PLEASE

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speed of light and the index of refraction of different materials. The formula for index of refraction is mentioned and used to find the speed of light in table salt. A new question is posed about the angle of refraction in diamond when a ray of light passes through it at an angle.
Bk8907
Speed of light. I NEED HELP! PLEASE!

Homework Statement

The index of refraction of table salt is 1.54 . What is the speed of light in table salt?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I NEED HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the forumal for index of refraction?

n=c/v. there is the formula

So what is stopping you from getting the speed of light in salt?

yah, i just figured it out. I didn't think it would be that easy to solve. ha ha

new question though...

ok, so diamond has an index of refraction of 2.42. Suppose that a rectangular block of diamond is immersed in a tank of water and that a ray of light is passing through the dimaond makes an angle of incidence of 25 degrees in the diamond. What is the angle of refraction with the normal in the air?

How do I even start?

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a physical constant that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or 186,282 miles per second.

Why is the speed of light important?

The speed of light is important because it is the fastest speed at which information can travel. It plays a crucial role in many scientific theories and is used in various technological applications.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to current scientific understanding, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is based on the theory of relativity proposed by Albert Einstein.

How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light is measured by using precise instruments and techniques such as interferometry and time-of-flight measurements. These methods involve measuring the time it takes for light to travel a known distance.

Has the speed of light ever been exceeded?

No, the speed of light has never been exceeded. Many experiments have been conducted to try and achieve faster-than-light travel, but all have failed to do so.