Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of light limit

1. Dec 12, 2008 #1
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I think that the very structure of space-time puts the limit of light-speed on objets.

I think it's either:
    1) In space-time, the 3-D space surface is not actually perpendicular to the time axis, but at an angle which doesn't allow objects to travel a certain distance without moving at least a certain amount in time (3*10^8 m to 1 sec)
    2) In space-time, as objects are farther away, they "sink" down in time relative to you, which makes you perceive instant signals as delayed.

What do you people think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2
    I suspect that's true, but I hope we are mistaken...unless the limit of light speed is a fundamental constituent of our universe and it determines the structural form of spacetime...that's what Roger Penrose concludes from his Twistor theory....
  4. Dec 13, 2008 #3
    I think the convergence of light is the beginning of the real universe. Once we figure out how to travel at that speed, then and only then will we understand the "folding" of the universe.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?