1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of light problem

1. Jul 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The distance between earth and the moon can be determined from the time it takes for a laser beam to travel from earth to a reflector on the moon and back. If the round-trip time can be measured to an accuracy of 0.17 of a nanosecond (1 ns = 10-9 s), what is the corresponding error in the earth-moon distance?

2. Relevant equations
    t=v/d

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set v=3x10^8 m/s, d=405x10^6 m, which gave me 1.35 seconds, which should be the time for light to travel to the moon. then i converted 1.35 seconds to ns, which is 1.35e9. to get the percent error, i did: 0.17ns/1.35e9ns=1.25x10^-10%. then i multiplied that by 405 x 10^6, and i got an error in distance of .00506, but this was not right. what am i doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

They are looking for error distances. If you can't measure time within .17 nanoseconds, maybe ask yourself how far a beam of light could travel in .17 nanoseconds? Wouldn't that be the uncertantity in whatever distance you do measure?

4. Jul 17, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The d you are measuring is the round trip time, twice the distance from the earth to the moon.

5. Jul 17, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Sort of.

Since the distance is measured on a round trip, the actual error in the round trip means that the distance to the moon is accurate to within half that distance doesn't it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?