Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Speed of light question

1. Dec 19, 2006 #1
    this isn't actually homework but i fear it is too simple to put in any of the other forums :redface:
    why is it that you can calculate the speed of light by (permettivity*permeability of free space)^-0.5
    i can't seem to find it in any of my textbooks, but my physics teacher told me it was a standard proof thing...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2006 #2
    you can derive it using maxwell's equations

4. Dec 19, 2006 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

More specifically, if you use Maxwell's equations to derive the wave equation for E or B, you get something that looks just like the standard differential wave equation, with [itex]1/\sqrt{\epsilon_0 \mu_0}[/itex] where the wave speed should be.

5. Dec 19, 2006 #4
    is it something doable by an A level student? cos i've heard about maxwell's equations but it's not on the syllabus...
    also, what are E and B?

6. Dec 19, 2006 #5
    E = electric field
    B = magnetic field

how much calculus have you done??

7. Dec 19, 2006 #6
    int. by parts, substitution, integrating trig, first order differential equations

8. Dec 19, 2006 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like you have a lot of the background, as long as you've had some vectors mixed in with the calculus. I googled something like maxwell equations derivation wave equation, and got lots of good hits. Here's one of the first hits on the list:

http://www.mathphysics.com/pde/Maxwell.html

EDIT -- Also, if you have access to a technical library, just check out some of the books on Electromagnetics. Most will have the derivation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook