Speed of light question

this isn't actually homework but i fear it is too simple to put in any of the other forums :redface:
why is it that you can calculate the speed of light by (permettivity*permeability of free space)^-0.5
i can't seem to find it in any of my textbooks, but my physics teacher told me it was a standard proof thing...

you can derive it using maxwell's equations

jtbell

Mentor
More specifically, if you use Maxwell's equations to derive the wave equation for E or B, you get something that looks just like the standard differential wave equation, with [itex]1/\sqrt{\epsilon_0 \mu_0}[/itex] where the wave speed should be.

is it something doable by an A level student? cos i've heard about maxwell's equations but it's not on the syllabus...
also, what are E and B?

E = electric field
B = magnetic field

how much calculus have you done??

int. by parts, substitution, integrating trig, first order differential equations

berkeman

Mentor
int. by parts, substitution, integrating trig, first order differential equations
Sounds like you have a lot of the background, as long as you've had some vectors mixed in with the calculus. I googled something like maxwell equations derivation wave equation, and got lots of good hits. Here's one of the first hits on the list:

http://www.mathphysics.com/pde/Maxwell.html

EDIT -- Also, if you have access to a technical library, just check out some of the books on Electromagnetics. Most will have the derivation.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving