What is the formula for calculating the speed of light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed of light using the formula (permettivity*permeability of free space)^-0.5 and how it can be derived using Maxwell's equations. The person asking the question is unsure if this is something an A-level student can do and is also curious about the terms E and B, which refer to electric field and magnetic field. The conversation also mentions the use of calculus, specifically integration by parts, substitution, and solving first order differential equations. It is suggested to do a Google search or consult books on Electromagnetics for more information on the derivation.
dt19
this isn't actually homework but i fear it is too simple to put in any of the other forums :redface:
why is it that you can calculate the speed of light by (permettivity*permeability of free space)^-0.5
i can't seem to find it in any of my textbooks, but my physics teacher told me it was a standard proof thing...

Physics news on Phys.org
you can derive it using maxwell's equations

More specifically, if you use Maxwell's equations to derive the wave equation for E or B, you get something that looks just like the standard differential wave equation, with [itex]1/\sqrt{\epsilon_0 \mu_0}[/itex] where the wave speed should be.

is it something doable by an A level student? cos I've heard about maxwell's equations but it's not on the syllabus...
also, what are E and B?

E = electric field
B = magnetic field

how much calculus have you done??

int. by parts, substitution, integrating trig, first order differential equations

dt19 said:
int. by parts, substitution, integrating trig, first order differential equations

Sounds like you have a lot of the background, as long as you've had some vectors mixed in with the calculus. I googled something like maxwell equations derivation wave equation, and got lots of good hits. Here's one of the first hits on the list:

http://www.mathphysics.com/pde/Maxwell.html

EDIT -- Also, if you have access to a technical library, just check out some of the books on Electromagnetics. Most will have the derivation.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a physical constant representing the speed at which light travels in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (or about 670,616,629 miles per hour).

2. How was the speed of light first measured?

The speed of light was first measured in 1676 by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer using observations of the moons of Jupiter. He noticed that the time between eclipses of these moons varied depending on the distance between Earth and Jupiter, leading him to estimate the speed of light to be about 220,000 kilometers per second.

3. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, it is not possible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light. Therefore, it is considered to be the universal speed limit.

4. How does the speed of light affect time and space?

The theory of relativity also states that as an object approaches the speed of light, time for that object slows down and its length contracts. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and length contraction, and it has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

5. What practical applications does the speed of light have?

The speed of light has numerous practical applications, including telecommunications, global positioning systems, and medical imaging. It also plays a crucial role in the study of astronomy and cosmology, helping us understand the origins and composition of the universe.