Understanding the Speed of Light in Theory of Relativity: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the theory of relativity and the concept of traveling at high speeds compared to the speed of light. It is explained that traveling at half the speed of light would not allow one to pass a light beam, and going twice the speed of light is not possible. The conversation also touches on the relativistic rule for the addition of velocity and Einstein's thought experiment involving chasing a light beam on a bicycle.
osiris774
Hi I am new to understanding the theory of relativity so please excuse me. I can make sense of most of it. The one thing I am having a hard time grasping is:

If i travel at half the speed of light in one direction, light is still going by me at light speed in the same direction.

It takes 8 minutes for light from the sun to reach earth. So can't i theoretically pass that light leaving from the sun if i can make that same trip in 4 min?

please explain in Lamen's terms so i can understand.
Thanks for your time,

Physics news on Phys.org
osiris774 said:
It takes 8 minutes for light from the sun to reach earth. So can't i theoretically pass that light leaving from the sun if i can make that same trip in 4 min?
In order for you to make the trip in 4 min, you'd have to move at twice the speed of light. No can do. (Assuming you mean 4 minutes as seen from earth.)

I know its not possible to travel that fast...i said hypothically speaking of course.

osiris774 said:
I know its not possible to travel that fast...i said hypothically speaking of course.
Since that would violate currently accepted physical law, I'm not sure what kind of answer you want. It's like saying "Ignoring physics, what would happen if I do such and such..." Beats me!

well they say if i could travel half the speed of light let's say...light would still be going by me at the speed of light in the same direction. Ignoring that fact that i can't travel half the speed of light, why would light still go by me at it's normal speed?

osiris774 said:
well they say if i could travel half the speed of light let's say...light would still be going by me at the speed of light in the same direction. Ignoring that fact that i can't travel half the speed of light, why would light still go by me at it's normal speed?
There's nothing wrong with going half the speed of light (at least in a thought experiment). Going at twice the speed of light is a problem. :wink:

As to why the speed of light is always the same with respect to any observer, I don't know how to give a satisfying answer to that. One thing to point out is that high speeds do not add in the same manner as low speeds. For example: If you ride a train moving at 50 mph, and you throw a baseball towards the front of the train at 50 mph, the speed of the baseball with respect to the ground is 50 + 50 = 100 mph. But if the train was moving at half the speed of light, and you threw the "baseball" at half the speed of light, the speed of the baseball with respect to the ground would not be 1/2 + 1/2 = the speed of light. Instead, you'd have to use the relativistic rule for the addition of velocity:

[tex]V_{a/c} = \frac{V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}}{1 + (V_{a/b} V_{b/c})/c^2}[/tex]

Thus the speed of the baseball with respect to the ground would only be 0.8 times the speed of light.

Einstein asked the question if he was going faster and faster on a bicycle chasing a light beam, well, could he look in the rear view mirror and see himself?

ok thanks doc.

osiris774 you might be interested in [THREAD=215019]this conversation[/THREAD] that has been going on recently.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental scientific theory proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by gravity.

2. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a universal constant, denoted by the symbol c, which represents the speed at which electromagnetic radiation (such as light) travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

3. How does the theory of relativity relate to the speed of light?

The theory of relativity states that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. This means that no object or information can travel faster than the speed of light.

4. What is the significance of the speed of light in the theory of relativity?

The speed of light is a crucial component of the theory of relativity as it forms the basis for many of its principles. It helps explain concepts such as time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence of mass and energy.

5. Can anything travel at the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, only massless particles, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light. Objects with mass can never reach the speed of light, but they can approach it as their energy increases.