How Long Does a Call Take Between Quito and Belem via Satellite?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the time it takes for a telephone call to travel between two cities located on the equator, using a communications satellite in geosynchronous orbit. The main concept involved is the geometry of right triangles and the speed of light. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to draw a diagram to visualize the problem.
osustudent2010
I've got a question I'm working on:

A communications satellite is in an orbit that is 3.2 X 10^7 m directly above the equator. Consider the moment when the satellite is located midway between Quito, Equador, and Belem, Brazil; two cities almost on the equator that are separated by a distance of 3.7 X 10^6 m. Find the time it takes for a telephone call to go by the way of satellite between these cities. Ignore the curvature of the earth.

-- eek! I'm not sure where to start! Is this related to the speed of light in any way?

thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this involves the speed of light, but the main work is geometry of right triangles. Draw a picture that shows the relationship described, compute the lengths involved and proceed from there.

All electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light, I'm assuming theyre talking abuot a geosynchronous orbit where the satelite is in a fixed position.

thanks-- all i need to to was draw a picture :)

thanks again

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is the fastest possible speed at which energy and information can travel through space. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour.

2. How was the speed of light first measured?

The first accurate measurement of the speed of light was done by the Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the late 17th century. He observed the varying times of the eclipses of Jupiter's moons and calculated the difference in time it took for the light to reach Earth from Jupiter at different points in its orbit.

3. Is the speed of light constant?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant in all inertial reference frames. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving, they will always measure the speed of light to be the same.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, no. The theory of relativity states that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it to the speed of light. Therefore, it is impossible for anything with mass to travel faster than the speed of light.

5. What are the practical applications of the speed of light?

The speed of light has many practical applications in modern technology, including fiber optics for communication, GPS systems, and medical imaging techniques such as MRI and PET scans. It is also a fundamental constant in many equations used in physics and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe.