1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of light question?

1. May 24, 2005 #1
    I've got a question I'm working on:

A communications satellite is in an orbit that is 3.2 X 10^7 m directly above the equator. Consider the moment when the satellite is located midway between Quito, Equador, and Belem, Brazil; two cities almost on the equator that are separated by a distance of 3.7 X 10^6 m. Find the time it takes for a telephone call to go by the way of satellite between these cities. Ignore the curvature of the earth.

-- eek! I'm not sure where to start! Is this related to the speed of light in any way?

thanks for the help!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, this involves the speed of light, but the main work is geometry of right triangles. Draw a picture that shows the relationship described, compute the lengths involved and proceed from there.
  4. May 24, 2005 #3
    All electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light, I'm assuming theyre talking abuot a geosynchronous orbit where the satelite is in a fixed position.
  5. May 24, 2005 #4
    thanks-- all i need to to was draw a picture :)

thanks again
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?