Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Speed of light question?

1. May 24, 2005 #1
    I've got a question I'm working on:

A communications satellite is in an orbit that is 3.2 X 10^7 m directly above the equator. Consider the moment when the satellite is located midway between Quito, Equador, and Belem, Brazil; two cities almost on the equator that are separated by a distance of 3.7 X 10^6 m. Find the time it takes for a telephone call to go by the way of satellite between these cities. Ignore the curvature of the earth.

-- eek! I'm not sure where to start! Is this related to the speed of light in any way?

thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, this involves the speed of light, but the main work is geometry of right triangles. Draw a picture that shows the relationship described, compute the lengths involved and proceed from there.

4. May 24, 2005 #3
    All electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light, I'm assuming theyre talking abuot a geosynchronous orbit where the satelite is in a fixed position.

5. May 24, 2005 #4
    thanks-- all i need to to was draw a picture :)

thanks again

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook