How long does it take for a signal to reach a moving spaceship at 0.866c?

In summary, the question is about how long it takes for a signal to reach a spaceship traveling at 0.866c from a distance of -4 ls. The equation t=(delta)D/c-v is used to solve for the time, but the answer obtained using this equation is 29 seconds, while a spacetime diagram suggests it should be 12 seconds. The ship is moving in the positive direction and is at 0 ls at t=0 in the frame of reference of the signal sender.
vysis

Homework Statement

A signal (traveling at the speed of light) is sent from -4 ls (light seconds) towards a moving spaceship traveling at 0.866c. How long does it take for the signal to reach the ship?

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure its t=(delta)D/c-v

But I continue to get the wrong answer with it.

The Attempt at a Solution

using the equation above [rearranged from d(light) = (delta)d + vt]. I get 29 seconds. I do it by multiplying 4 ls by 3e8 and use that as my distance.

according to a spacetime diagram I have, the answer should be around 12s (my diagram might be wrong, but it doesn't seem so). But I can't seem to get it with this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which way is the ship moving? Where is it at t = 0?

the ship is moving in the positive direct and is at 0 ls when t = 0

btw, this is all from signal sender's frame of reference.

Why do you think your answer is wrong?
vysis said:
I get 29 seconds.
I get a slightly different answer.

hm... becuase I have a spacetime diagram modeling this answer and it seems that it is only supposed to be 12 seconds...

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant of the universe, denoted by the letter 'c'. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour.

2. Why is the speed of light important in physics?

The speed of light is important because it is the fastest speed at which all matter and information can travel in the universe. It plays a crucial role in many fundamental theories and principles in physics, such as Einstein's theory of relativity.

3. How was the speed of light first measured?

The first successful measurement of the speed of light was done by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in 1676 using observations of the moons of Jupiter. He noticed that the time it took for the moons to orbit Jupiter varied depending on the positions of Earth and Jupiter in their respective orbits, providing a way to calculate the speed of light.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of the laws of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

5. How does the speed of light affect time and space?

One of the most famous consequences of the speed of light is time dilation, where time appears to slow down for objects moving at high speeds. This is a key component of Einstein's theory of relativity. The speed of light also affects how we perceive distances in space, as objects moving at high speeds appear to be shorter in the direction of motion.