Exploring Light Particle Propulsion in Space

In summary: Permeability and permittivity of space refer to how easily magnetic and electric fields can pass through a given material. Permeability is the measure of how easily magnetic fields can pass through a material, while permittivity is the measure of how easily electric fields can pass through a material. These values are determined by the properties of space itself and can vary depending on the presence of other materials or fields. They play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves, such as light. In summary, the speed of light is limited because it is the rate at which time flows and is dictated by the permeability and permittivity of space. While it is possible to use light particles to propel a spaceship, it would require an enormous
Killer slug
is it possible to catch light particles and have them push you along in some kind of space ship, and if you could would it be the speed of light

Science news on Phys.org
No, but apparently swans make good propulsion for early space craft. Light particles or "Photons" are packets of energy that you can't catch. If you were to try and "grab" one with your hand and catch a ride you may be disappointed. Traveling at light speed is impossible for such a large mass as yourself, but seriously swans all the way...

Actually, every time a photon hits you and you absorb it, you have "caught" it. And when you do, it transfers its momentum to you. So yes, you could propel a spaceship that way (actually, reflecting them is better...), but you'd need an enormous solar sail to catch enough photons to be useful. And no, you could never reach the speed of light. You could get arbitrarily close to it, though.

Anyway, look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

"swans"? Is that a technical term.

"Light Sails" have long been a staple of science fiction. I don't know if NASA is doing any research but it would certainly been possible.

Why is the speed of light limited to 3*10^8 m/s? What is blocking it from going faster than that?

The speed of lights is an absolute maximum to speed, because it is the rate at which time flows. The digits it is expressed as are based on our units of measurement.

The speed of light is not the rate at which time flows.

The speed of light is a dictated by the permeability and permittivity of space, as a consequence of Maxwell's equations.

Well Watters has explained it clearly...

lanman said:
it is the rate at which time flows.

Not sure where I heard that...

lanman said:
Not sure where I heard that...

In a sense, c is the conversion rate between space and time. In many theoretical papers, "natural" units are adopted, where c = 1, \hbar = 1, etc. So that mass, length, time are all inter-convertible without changing the number.

russ_watters said:
The speed of light is a dictated by the permeability and permittivity of space, as a consequence of Maxwell's equations.

From the speed of light, did we derive the permeability and permittivity of space, or is it the other way?

Can anyone explain permeability and permittivity of space in simpler terms? I googled those keywords, but gave me pages with lots of greek symbols, which I used to understand in the past, for a short period in my life.

I would think that the definition of c, the speed of light, would rely somewhat on the Higgs field - that which endows mass upon particles. Massless particles travel at the speed of light, massive ones at less than c.

jobyts said:
From the speed of light, did we derive the permeability and permittivity of space, or is it the other way?
If I understand the history correctly, I think they were measured about the same time the first accurate measurements of the speed of light were being taken (by Michelson). So the speed of light was separately measured and calculated and found to be the same value.
Can anyone explain permeability and permittivity of space in simpler terms? I googled those keywords, but gave me pages with lots of greek symbols, which I used to understand in the past, for a short period in my life.
Basically, the resistance to passing magnetic and electric fields.

Last edited:

1. What is light particle propulsion?

Light particle propulsion, also known as laser propulsion, is a method of propelling spacecraft using lasers to accelerate light particles, such as photons, and create a thrust force.

2. How does light particle propulsion work?

This propulsion method works by using a powerful laser to generate a beam of light particles that are directed towards a spacecraft. The photons from the laser beam transfer their momentum to the spacecraft, propelling it forward.

3. What are the advantages of using light particle propulsion in space?

There are several advantages to using light particle propulsion in space. It is a highly efficient and cost-effective method, as it requires very little fuel compared to traditional rocket engines. It also allows for faster travel speeds and can potentially reach higher velocities than other propulsion methods.

4. What are the challenges of using light particle propulsion in space?

One of the main challenges of using light particle propulsion in space is the need for a powerful and precise laser system. The laser must be able to generate enough energy to accelerate the spacecraft and maintain a constant thrust. Additionally, the laser's beam must be accurately directed towards the spacecraft to ensure efficient propulsion.

5. Are there any current missions or projects utilizing light particle propulsion?

Yes, there are several ongoing missions and projects that utilize light particle propulsion. Some notable examples include the Breakthrough Starshot project, which aims to send small spacecraft to explore nearby star systems using light particle propulsion, and the NASA Sunjammer mission, which will use solar sails powered by light particle propulsion to study the sun.