Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of light .

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    Speed of light.....

It makes no sense to me that if the speed of light is always c......then in different mediums why this speed changes......?? I may have got it in a wrong way.....But can anyone help me out in detail......(thanks)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Speed of light.....

The speed of light in a vacuum is always c.

4. Jun 30, 2011 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Does it puzzle you that the speed of sound is different in air than in water?

5. Jun 30, 2011 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please start by reading the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

6. Jun 30, 2011 #5

The speed of light is constant in vacuum and it changes in different mediums.
    when light enters a denser medium (like from air to glass) the speed and wavelength of the
    light wave decrease while the frequency stays the same.
    How much light slows down depends on the new medium's refractive index, n.

7. Jul 3, 2011 #6

speed of light (c = 3 x 10^8) is an constant while on vacuum
    but c vary in other medium depend on its density. => n = c/v while n = refractive index.
    higher refractive index means less density.
    CMIIW

8. Jul 3, 2011 #7

Seems perfectly natural to me. But don't just say the speed changes. It only gets slower in a medium.

But the fact is that light is constantly absorbed and re-emitted in a medium. The light that goes out isn't the light that came in.

When a light-particle bangs into the electron cloud in an atom in a medium, it dies and is disappeared, and an impostor steals its clothes and runs out the same direction a bit later. Everyone is fooled. Even the cops.

9. Jul 5, 2011 #8

Speed of light is slower in all mediums except VACUUM.
    v=frequency x wavelength

v changes but wavelength doesn't.

as v changes this causes refraction when light enters a different medium.

10. Jul 6, 2011 #9

I wouldn't include a vacuum as a medium, though. And strictly speaking, does c remain as a constant even with a medium, between re-emissions and re-absorptions?

11. Jul 6, 2011 #10

After reading the FAQ on transmission through a medium, I have to abandon the simple adsorbtion, re-emission model, although the wording at a key point in that article is a bit confusing.

12. Jul 8, 2011 #11

so the light particle that come in will stay there ?? or what ?

13. Jul 17, 2011 #12

If the light bulb is in the midle of the room and you turn it on the light reaches south wall same time as north wall. Does that mean you multiply the speed of light times 2?

14. Jul 17, 2011 #13

russ_watters

No, it doesn't. Speed is measured from one object to another. Not from one object to two others at the same time. That's not speed.

15. Jul 18, 2011 #14

Drakkith

You need to read up on what light is. Hit up wikipedia and the FAQ here on PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook