Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of light

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    if the speed of light were smaller than it is, shouldn't relativistic phenomena be less conspicuous than it is? the smaller the speed, the closer it should be to newton mechanics...
    however my textbook says that it shoud be more conspicuous...
    does anybody know what's wrong with my reasoning?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Well what is your reasoning?

You seem to be mixing up the speed limit of something and somethings actual speed.
  4. Oct 2, 2005 #3
    my reasoning is that relativistic phenomena should be less obvious if the speed of light were less than it is...
  5. Oct 2, 2005 #4
    If the speed of light would be 10 000 m/s, the relativistic effects should be MORE obvious than they are now, because it would be easier to achieve relativistic speeds.
  6. Oct 2, 2005 #5

Gold Member

asdf1, thats a conclusion, not a reasoning
  7. Oct 2, 2005 #6
    ok, i think i got messed up~
    thanks for correcting!!! :)
  8. Oct 2, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Oct 2, 2005 #8

Science Advisor

It should be "the smaller the speed relative to the speed of light, the closer it should be to newton mechanics"...and this way of stating it makes it clearer why the effects of relativity would be more conspicuous if the speed of light were lower (although as this page points out, the idea of changing a dimensionful constant like the speed of light may not be very meaningful).
  10. Oct 3, 2005 #9
    thank you!!! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?