Speed of moving particle

In summary, this is a related rates problem involving a particle's coordinates in the xy-plane. Using the Pythagorean theorem and implicit differentiation, the distance from the origin is found to be 5 and the rate of change of distance is determined to be 5 dD/dt = (10)(3)+(4)(5). However, it is unclear if the book is looking for the magnitude of the particle's velocity or just the rate of change of distance.
kuahji
This is a related rates problem

The coordinates of a particle moving in the metric xy-plane are differentiable functions of time t with dx/dt = 10m/sec & dy/dt = 5m/sec. How fast is the particle moving away from the origin as it passes through the point (3,-4).

First used the Pythagorean theorem & found D (distance) from the origin, which was 5. Then I implicitly differentiated the problem d^2=x^2+y^2

D dD/dt = x dx/dt + y dy/dt (divided out all the 2s). Then I plugged in the rates of change as outlined in the problem.
D dD/dt = 10x + 5y.

But at this step I must be misunderstanding something. I tried to plug (3,-4) in for x & y, & 5 in for D. However, according to the book that's incorrect. So what am I misunderstanding? The book shows 5 dD/dt = (5)(10)+(12)(5) but where are the second five in the equation & 12 coming from?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, because I agree with your solution. The 'book' isn't always right.

Ok, thank you for taking a look at the problem.

So it would probably look

5 dD/dt = (10)(3)+(-4)(5)

Then just solve? Or because it is distance, would I have to use positive 4 instead of negative? I'm thinking I'd have to use positive 4, but not so sure since I'm just learning all of this.

No, the negative is correct. In a related rates problem, negatives are very important. If dD/dt wound up negative, the distance would be decreasing

The only thing I can think of is that your book may want the magnitude of the particle's velocity. dx/dt is the horizontal component and dy/dt is the vertical component. The vector sum will give you a single velocity vector, and the magnitude is the speed. In this case, the point (3,-4) is just extra information and the last part of the question isn't very clear

1. What is the speed of a moving particle?

The speed of a moving particle is the rate at which it changes its position in a given amount of time.

2. How is the speed of a moving particle measured?

The speed of a moving particle can be measured by calculating the distance it travels in a given time interval, or by using specialized equipment such as a speedometer or radar gun.

3. What factors affect the speed of a moving particle?

The speed of a moving particle can be affected by factors such as its mass, the force acting on it, and the medium through which it is moving (such as air or water).

4. Can the speed of a moving particle change?

Yes, the speed of a moving particle can change if the factors affecting it change. For example, if the force acting on the particle increases, its speed will also increase.

5. How does the speed of a moving particle relate to its velocity?

The speed of a moving particle is a component of its velocity, which also takes into account the direction of motion. Velocity is a vector quantity, while speed is a scalar quantity.