1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of Proton

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1
    The question is to calculate the speed of a proton that is accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 120V.

Qp(charge of proton) ~ 1.60E-19C...with this, DeltaU = Qp*DeltaV...in which DeltaU is positive. It makes sense since the proton is heading towards a higher electric potential.

DeltaU = -DeltaK and since the proton accelerates from rest, DeltaU = -(1/2)*m*Vf^2 (Vf as final velocity). The problem I get here is that since DeltaU is positive, if I solve for Vf, I'll be square-rooting a negative number. I get the right answer if I ignore the negative sign, but otherwise, I get an imaginary number...what am I doing wrong?

Is it because of the DeltaU = -DeltaK...does that only hold valid for conservative forces? In this case, the rise in potential energy implies that the work is done by an external force.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted