1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of shockwaves

1. Feb 2, 2015 #1
    To put it simply, can a shock wave move faster than the speed of sound?

A lot of people seem to think so, and it might even be, but based on the wrong arguments. 'Sonic boom is caused when an object is travelling faster than the speed of sound' so the argument starts. OK, that is clearly the wrong start of an argument but the question is still a good one.

I never studied fluid physics before, but my intuition suggests shock waves can move faster than the speed of sound but it soon reduces to speed of sound.

To make the problem a little more specific, let's consider a stationary dynamite exploding.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 2, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the link, it does answer the question :D I was looking at the shock wave page only.

5. Feb 2, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

so what SPECIFICALLY is your question ?

this one ?
    yes

maybe you should ;)

That tells me nothing specific or useable

How quickly and how much it will slow will depend on what the shock wave is travelling through
    type of material, its density, temperature to name 3 variables

That link I gave you gives important information on what kinds of explosives or other factors will or will not create a blast wave/shock wave as does the wiki on shock waves ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_wave

Dave

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  6. Feb 2, 2015 #5
    To quote myself
    And the answer is 'yes'.

7. Feb 2, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and your point is ?

The wiki link told you that ;)

8. Feb 2, 2015 #7
    I know. I'm under the impression that you misread my previous post. I said "thanks for the link. it does answer the question". And that was it.

9. Feb 2, 2015 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL DOH

I humbly apologise ... I need new glasses ( wait a minute they are relatively new ...maybe new eyes)

Sorry buddy :)

Dave

10. Feb 2, 2015 #9
    Haha That's ok! =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook