Speed of Shockwaves: Faster than Sound?

• Thread starter diegzumillo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a shock wave moving faster than the speed of sound. While some people believe this to be true, it is based on incorrect arguments. The question is further specified to consider a stationary dynamite exploding, and the conversation references a Wikipedia page for more information on blast waves and shock waves. Ultimately, it is concluded that a shock wave can indeed move faster than the speed of sound.
diegzumillo
To put it simply, can a shock wave move faster than the speed of sound?

A lot of people seem to think so, and it might even be, but based on the wrong arguments. 'Sonic boom is caused when an object is traveling faster than the speed of sound' so the argument starts. OK, that is clearly the wrong start of an argument but the question is still a good one.

I never studied fluid physics before, but my intuition suggests shock waves can move faster than the speed of sound but it soon reduces to speed of sound.

To make the problem a little more specific, let's consider a stationary dynamite exploding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link, it does answer the question :D I was looking at the shock wave page only.

so what SPECIFICALLY is your question ?

this one ?

yes

I never studied fluid physics before, but my intuition suggests shock waves can move faster than the speed of sound but it soon reduces to speed of sound.

maybe you should ;)

but it soon reduces to speed of sound.

That tells me nothing specific or useable

How quickly and how much it will slow will depend on what the shock wave is traveling through
type of material, its density, temperature to name 3 variables
To make the problem a little more specific, let's consider a stationary dynamite exploding.

That link I gave you gives important information on what kinds of explosives or other factors will or will not create a blast wave/shock wave as does the wiki on shock waves ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_waveDave

Last edited:
To quote myself
And the answer is 'yes'.

diegzumillo said:
To quote myself

And the answer is 'yes'.
and your point is ?

The wiki link told you that ;)

I know. I'm under the impression that you misread my previous post. I said "thanks for the link. it does answer the question". And that was it.

LOL DOH

I humbly apologise ... I need new glasses ( wait a minute they are relatively new ...maybe new eyes)

Sorry buddy :)

Dave

Haha That's ok! =)

What is the speed of shockwaves?

The speed of shockwaves can vary depending on several factors, but in general, it is faster than the speed of sound.

How is the speed of shockwaves measured?

The speed of shockwaves is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or in multiples of the speed of sound, which is approximately 343 m/s. Other units, such as feet per second or kilometers per hour, can also be used.

What causes shockwaves to travel faster than sound?

Shockwaves are created when an object moves through a medium at a speed faster than the speed of sound in that medium. This causes a rapid compression of air molecules, resulting in a shockwave that travels faster than sound.

Can shockwaves travel through any medium?

Yes, shockwaves can travel through any medium, including air, water, and solids. However, the speed of the shockwave can vary depending on the properties of the medium it is traveling through.

What are some real-life examples of shockwaves traveling faster than sound?

A common example of shockwaves traveling faster than sound is the sonic boom produced by supersonic aircraft. Other examples include explosions, meteorite impacts, and volcanic eruptions.