1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of Sound Calculations. Confused.

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have to prove the speed of sound using a ultra-sound emitter, connected to EasySense software which records the speed for it to travel to surface and back. Known data - Speed of sound is 337 metres a second at 20 degrees celcius. Also, the distance covered is, 3.4m or 6.8m there and back. The time is 0.010837 micro seconds. Micro-seconds are 1 x 10^-6. All answers must be given with a +- .

2. Relevant equations

Speed = Distance / Time

3. The attempt at a solution

Time: 10897 +- 14 (microsecs)
    Dist: 6.8 +- 0.014 (metres)

Convert microseconds into seconds. 10897 / 1000 and then /1000 again.
    = 0.010897 seconds

Speed = 6.8 / 0.010897 = 624.024961 metres per second.

Obviously, this is nearly double the actual speed of sound. Was I not meant to double the distance? But I'm pretty sure the time is for there and back so double distance was needed. Have I forgotten anything? Of course, there is a chance the Ultrasound was reflecting from a place not wanted, causing the distance to not be true.

Help much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2
    You have very different times in 1 and 3 above. Could you also have misunderstood the distance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?