1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of Sound-Echoes

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    Can someone tell me how to calculate the speed of sound through measuring echoes. This is very new to me so I do not know where to begin. Appreciate any help. Links will help as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the source and the reflector are stationary then the time it takes sound to travel from the source to the reflector is the same time it takes for the sound to travel from the reflector back to the source.

4. Jan 26, 2006 #3
    I know what you mean by if the materials are in position and not moving but i just need to know how you get the speed of sound from taking two points off (the echoes) a sound wave chart and calculating the speed of sound from that.

5. Jan 26, 2006 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Divide the distance travelled by the time of travel to find the speed of sound.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?