1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of sound examples

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    Hello there, I'm making a presentation on the speed of sound in a few days and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a video that shows a (preferably huge) explosion from a distance with a timer on it.

What I wish to convey from this video is the fact that the light from the explosion reaches our eyes far, far faster than the sound from the resulting shock wave, even if that shock wave is travelling in excess of the speed of sound.

I just want a punchy opening to my presentation, I found a few but they don't have timers on them or they have no sound.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2

Doesn't get much "huger". Or much scarier and at the same time beautiful.... I know it doesn't have a timer, but the effect is obvious and it has sound. In addition, you can see it when the atmospheric shockwave approaches long after the explosion.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Dec 13, 2011 #3
    Can you just add a timer to the ones that do have sound?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook