What is the relationship between salinity and the speed of sound in water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the experiment that was conducted to determine the speed of sound in different types of water. It was found that sound traveled faster in hot water than cold water, and even faster in salt water. The explanation for this phenomenon is that the increase in bulk modulus in salt water is greater than the increase in density, leading to a greater speed of sound in salt water. However, it is important to note that the bulk modulus and density are not constant and vary based on factors such as temperature, pressure, and frequency. Therefore, a formula developed by Wilson is commonly used to calculate the speed of sound in sea water, and a sound speed calculator is also available for this purpose.
roam
I've preformed an experiment about the speed of sound waves in water and I found that sound traveled faster in hot water than cold water (distilled water), but it traveled still faster in salt water. So, how can I explain why the speed of sound increases with salinity?

We have the equation:

[itex]c= \sqrt{\frac{B}{\rho}}[/itex]

Clearly since hot water is less dense, the velocity of sound is greater in hot water. But salt water is denser than fresh water, so shouldn't sound travel slower in salt water? :confused:

I have repeated the experiment over and over, but the result is the same.

The only explanation I can think of is that compared to fresh water, sea water has a greater percentage of increase in bulk modulus than in density increase. That's why sound travels faster in salt (25°C) water than hot fresh water (40-50°C). Is that right?

But isn't bulk modulus really a measure of compressibility? But salt water is harder to compress than fresh water so it has a greater B...

I appreciate it if anyone could help me understand this in a more mathematical way.

Physics news on Phys.org
“For a liquid the speed of sound decreases with increasing density but increases with increasing bulk modulus. For salt water (compared to fresh water) the percent increase in bulk modulus is greater than the percent increase in density so the sound velocity increases with salinity.

The problem is that the bulk modulus and the density are not constants. They each depend upon temperature, pressure, the salinity of the water, as well as the frequency of the sound. So one needs to be cautious about making comparisons and over-interpreting comparisons.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

“The speed of sound in sea water depends on its temperature, as well as on the salinity and hydrostatic pressure. For calculation of the speed of sound, Wilson's empirical formula offered in 1960 is of common use. (Wilson W. D. Equation for the speed of sound in sea water.- J. Acoust. Soc. Amer., 1960, vol.32, N 10, p. 1357).
Wilson's formula is accepted by the National Oceanographic Data Center (NODC) USA for computer processing of hydrological information.”
This site also has a built-in sound speed calculator
http://www.akin.ru/spravka_eng/s_i_svel_e.htm

What is the speed of sound in salt water?

The speed of sound in salt water varies depending on several factors, including temperature, salinity, and pressure. On average, it is around 1,500 meters per second, which is about four times faster than the speed of sound in air.

How does the speed of sound in salt water compare to the speed of sound in air?

The speed of sound in salt water is significantly faster than the speed of sound in air. This is because salt water is denser than air, which allows sound waves to travel more quickly through it.

What factors can affect the speed of sound in salt water?

As mentioned, the speed of sound in salt water can be affected by temperature, salinity, and pressure. Higher temperatures and salinity can increase the speed of sound, while higher pressure can decrease it.

Why is it important to understand the speed of sound in salt water?

Understanding the speed of sound in salt water is crucial for various applications, including underwater acoustics and sonar technology. It also plays a role in marine life, as some species use sound for communication and navigation.

How is the speed of sound in salt water measured?

The speed of sound in salt water is typically measured using a device called a hydrophone, which is designed to detect underwater sound waves. Scientists can also use mathematical models and experiments to calculate and verify the speed of sound in salt water.