1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of sound practical

1. May 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the practical for calculating speed of sound using the resonance tube why do we put wool to the bottom of the cylinder?

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    To prevent the tube from hitting the bottom hard for it can be broken.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. May 30, 2013 #3
    Yes, that's the practical I'm referring to. We normally put wool to the bottom and fill it with water. Why do we put wool like that? Is it to prevent the tube hitting the cylinder causing the glass to break?

5. May 30, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In that experiment I see a tube but I don't see a cylinder.

The way to tackle a question like that is to make a list of all the things the cotton wool could be for and eliminate the unlikely uses.

Certainly the resonance tubes are easily broken in the course of this experiment - what with it being about resonance and all - so, if the tube has to rest on a solid surface, it should have some padding to sit on or risk shattering.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  6. May 30, 2013 #5
    Yep, It's for the safety I think. Thanks for the help and the tip! :)

7. May 30, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In general - it is best practice not to assume that people on the other side of the world living in different cultures and experiencing different education systems are familiar with the specific apparatus and setup being used in your classroom. Try to describe everything that is pertinent to your question and you are more likely to get a useful answer quickly.

It's also great practice for writing reports/papers that get A's.
    ;)

8. May 31, 2013 #7
    Haha, Yea I understand about that system thingy! and of course hard work earns A's :D

Well it's like this. You first fill the cylinder with water and put wool into it and drown it to the bottom using a rod or something. Then get the tube into the cylinder and sound the tuning fork and lift the tube until you hear a sharp sound. measure the length, put it into the equations, that's all. They say. No mention about the job done by wool.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted