Speed of sound - reaction time

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple experiment to calculate the speed of sound by timing the time it takes between seeing and hearing the clap of two wooden blocks placed 180 m away. The speaker wants to remove their reaction time from the experiment and suggests estimating and subtracting it from the overall time. Another individual suggests having someone else stand next to them and clap when they see the blocks hit, while the speaker looks away to eliminate any potential bias. They also mention the importance of accurately measuring the time, as it could affect the results.
stevenback7
Today i did a simple expirement to calculate the speed of sound by placing someone 180 m away from me and telling the clap two wooden blocks. I timed the time it took between me seeing the blocks hit each other and when i heard the sound of the two blocks. Now in order for this to be as acurate as possible i want to remove the time it took me to react. So does anyone know anyway i can remove the time it takes me to react from the expirement ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just estimate your reaction time and remove it from the time you got

The reaction time should cancel because you take x seconds to start the watch after you see the blocks then x seconds when you hear the clap.

yes kurdt it should cancel out but since I'm dealing with a time less then a second but if i looked at the blocks i would be more likely to start the stopwatch before the blocks hit and would be less likely to stop it on time. So in order to get over that problem i got someone to stand beside me and count to 3 while i looked at the ground and timed as accurately as possible.

i will try to estimate it ponjavic but if it goes above like 0.2 of a second then it would mean my results would show that the outside temp. was like 50 degress celcius.

You could get someone to stand next to you and clap when they see the wooden blocks hit, with you looking away. Then, you can measure the time between the 2 claps.

1. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the distance that sound waves travel in a certain amount of time. In dry air at room temperature, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second.

2. How does the speed of sound compare to the speed of light?

The speed of sound is significantly slower than the speed of light. While sound waves travel at 343 meters per second, light travels at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

3. How is the speed of sound affected by temperature?

The speed of sound is directly proportional to temperature. As temperature increases, so does the speed of sound. This is because warmer air has more energy and the molecules can vibrate faster, allowing sound waves to travel more quickly.

4. What is reaction time and how does it relate to the speed of sound?

Reaction time is the time it takes for a person to respond to a stimulus. It is influenced by factors such as age, physical and mental state, and the complexity of the stimulus. The speed of sound plays a role in reaction time, as it is the time it takes for a sound to reach our ears and for our brain to process it and initiate a response.

5. How can the speed of sound be measured?

The speed of sound can be measured using various methods, such as the time-of-flight method, the resonance method, and the Doppler effect. Each method involves using equipment to measure the time it takes for sound to travel a certain distance and then using that information to calculate the speed of sound.