Calculating Speed of Sound in Nickel using Atomic Properties

In summary: Thank you again for your help!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time it takes for a disturbance to travel through a bar of nickel after being struck. The calculations involve converting density to moles and then atoms per meter, finding the diameter and mass of a single atom, calculating Young's modulus and interatomic spring stiffness, and finally determining the speed of sound and time elapsed. The correct answer is found after correcting a mistake in calculating Young's modulus.
jhyrman

Homework Statement

From WebAssign:
One mole of nickel (6.02e23 atoms) has a mass of 59 g, and its density is 8.9 g/cm3. You have a bar of nickel 2.44 m long, with a square cross section, 1.8 mm on a side. You hang the rod vertically and attach a 45 kg mass to the bottom, and you observe that the bar becomes 1.6 mm longer. Next you remove the 45 kg mass, place the rod horizontally, and strike one end with a hammer. How much time T will elapse before a microphone at the other end of the bar will detect a disturbance? (Assume a simple cubic lattice for nickel.)

Homework Equations

Young's modulus, diameter of an atom, v=ωd

The Attempt at a Solution

tl;dr - I'm getting 0.000538 seconds, not the right answer.

Atomic Size and Mass:

1) convert given density to kg/m^3 = 8900kg/m^3
2) convert to moles/m^3 (kg/m^3 * mol/kg) = 150847 mol/m^3 (not rounding in my actual calculations)
3) convert to atoms/m^3 (6.022^23 atoms/mol) = 9.084e28 atoms/m^3
4) take the cube root to get the number of atoms per meter, = 4495309334 atoms/m
5) take the reciprocal to get the diameter of an atom, = 2.2245e-10 m/atom
6) find the mass of one atom (kg/mol * mol/atoms) = 9.7974e-26 kg/atom

Young's Modulus: Y=(F/A)/(dL/L)

1) F=mg = (45kg)(9.8N/kg) = 441 N
2) A = (0.0018m)^2 = 3.5344e-6 m^2
3) dL = 0.0016m
4) L = 2.44m
5) Y = 1.834e11 N/m^2

Interatomic Spring Stiffness: Ks,i = dY

1) From above, diameter of one atom = 2.2245e-10 m
2) From above, Y = 1.834e11 N/m^2
3) Ks,i = 40.799 N/m (not rounding in my actual calculations)

Speed of Sound: v = ωd

1) ω = √(Ks,i / m,a)
2) From above, Ks,i = 40.799 N/m
3) From above, m,a = 9.7974e-26 kg
4) ω=2.0406e13 N/m*kg
5) From above, d=2.2245e-10 m
6) v=ωd = 4539 m/s (not rounding in actual calculations)

Time Elapsed:

1) length sound traveled = L+dL = 2.44166 m
2) From above, speed of sound = 4539 m/s
3) T = (L+dL)/v = 0.000537505 s
which is not the correct answer.

Thank you for reading and for your feedback,

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of sound is the square root of the ratio of the elastic modulus to density.
##v=\sqrt{\frac{Y}{\rho}}##

Last edited:
Likes jhyrman
jhyrman said:

Homework Statement

From WebAssign:
One mole of nickel (6.02e23 atoms) has a mass of 59 g, and its density is 8.9 g/cm3. You have a bar of nickel 2.44 m long, with a square cross section, 1.8 mm on a side. You hang the rod vertically and attach a 45 kg mass to the bottom, and you observe that the bar becomes 1.6 mm longer. Next you remove the 45 kg mass, place the rod horizontally, and strike one end with a hammer. How much time T will elapse before a microphone at the other end of the bar will detect a disturbance? (Assume a simple cubic lattice for nickel.)

Homework Equations

Young's modulus, diameter of an atom, v=ωd

The Attempt at a Solution

tl;dr - I'm getting 0.000538 seconds, not the right answer.

Atomic Size and Mass:

1) convert given density to kg/m^3 = 8900kg/m^3
2) convert to moles/m^3 (kg/m^3 * mol/kg) = 150847 mol/m^3 (not rounding in my actual calculations)
3) convert to atoms/m^3 (6.022^23 atoms/mol) = 9.084e28 atoms/m^3
4) take the cube root to get the number of atoms per meter, = 4495309334 atoms/m
5) take the reciprocal to get the diameter of an atom, = 2.2245e-10 m/atom
6) find the mass of one atom (kg/mol * mol/atoms) = 9.7974e-26 kg/atom

Young's Modulus: Y=(F/A)/(dL/L)

1) F=mg = (45kg)(9.8N/kg) = 441 N
2) A = (0.0018m)^2 = 3.5344e-6 m^2
3) dL = 0.0016m
4) L = 2.44m
5) Y = 1.834e11 N/m^2

Interatomic Spring Stiffness: Ks,i = dY

1) From above, diameter of one atom = 2.2245e-10 m
2) From above, Y = 1.834e11 N/m^2
3) Ks,i = 40.799 N/m (not rounding in my actual calculations)

Speed of Sound: v = ωd

1) ω = √(Ks,i / m,a)
2) From above, Ks,i = 40.799 N/m
3) From above, m,a = 9.7974e-26 kg
4) ω=2.0406e13 N/m*kg
5) From above, d=2.2245e-10 m
6) v=ωd = 4539 m/s (not rounding in actual calculations)

Time Elapsed:

1) length sound traveled = L+dL = 2.44166 m
2) From above, speed of sound = 4539 m/s
3) T = (L+dL)/v = 0.000537505 s
which is not the correct answer.

Thank you for reading and for your feedback,

Josh

The nickel bar has the 45 kg weight removed from the end and is laid flat before being struck.

Why do you include the change in length due to this weight (which is no longer present) in the calculation of the time it takes for sound to travel thru the rod?

Likes jhyrman and PietKuip
Thank you PietKuip, that does make it a lot easier. I still get the same result.

SteamKing, I tried it with and without. After rounding to correct sig figs, the result is the same so I know that's not the problem. I wasn't sure how elastic metal is, but I suppose it would go back to it's original length after the weight is removed.

jhyrman said:
SteamKing, I tried it with and without. After rounding to correct sig figs, the result is the same so I know that's not the problem. I wasn't sure how elastic metal is, but I suppose it would go back to it's original length after the weight is removed.

Yes, it is reasonable to assume that the bar will return to its original length once the weight is removed.

Thank you for your help. I found the problem in my math calculating Young's modulus. I corrected that and it finally got the correct answer.

What is the speed of sound through nickel?

The speed of sound through nickel varies depending on the temperature and purity of the metal. However, on average, the speed of sound through nickel is around 4,800 meters per second.

How does the speed of sound through nickel compare to other materials?

The speed of sound through nickel is relatively high compared to other materials. For example, the speed of sound through air is around 343 meters per second, while the speed of sound through water is around 1,482 meters per second.

Does the speed of sound through nickel change at different temperatures?

Yes, the speed of sound through nickel increases as the temperature increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the atoms in the metal vibrate more quickly, allowing sound waves to travel faster.

What factors affect the speed of sound through nickel?

The speed of sound through nickel can be affected by several factors, including temperature, purity, and crystal structure. Higher temperatures and purer nickel tend to have a higher speed of sound, while different crystal structures can also affect the speed of sound.

Why is the speed of sound through nickel important?

The speed of sound through nickel is important in various industries, such as aerospace and engineering, where the metal is commonly used. Understanding the speed of sound through nickel can help engineers and scientists make more accurate calculations and designs for their projects.