1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of sound with a ball on the end of a string

1. Jan 1, 2012 #1
    When I was younger I had a ball on a string. For what it's worth, the ball was quite a dense rubber, and about two inches in diameter and spherical, so I think it weighed about two-and-a-bit ounces, maybe two-and-a-half. The string was about a metre long, and it was very stretchy...

Once I took it outside and swung it over my head like a bullroarer (like this guy: ). The string stretched out, but stayed intact, so as the ball swung around me it gave a "circle" of about 11 metres' diameter... and since I remember I managed to get about six revolutions per second, the ball was travelling about 210 metres per second.

Aside from a bang (?), what would have happened had I managed to get the ball to move faster than sound? (That's what I was trying to do but I just... couldn't... do it.:cry:)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted