Calculating Speed of Sound: 480 Hz & 33.34 cm

In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate the speed of sound using the formula Lambda = v * T, where T is the period and can be calculated using the frequency. It was also mentioned that the speed can be converted from centimeters to meters. The conversation then moved on to calculating the theoretical resonance wavelength for a tube with a length of 75 centimeters, closed on one end and open on the other end. It was explained that resonance occurs at 1/2*Lambda, 3/2*Lambda, etc. and the longest wavelength for resonace can be found by solving for Lambda. The conversation then compared this wavelength to the ones observed during an experiment, with the biggest being 0.3334 meters and the
Alec
Hello, I'm new here and I'm not sure wether this is the correct forum or not, ohwell here it goes.
I'm wondering how to calculate the speed of sound by using the formula:
Lamba = v * T
The frequency was 480 Hz and the distance was 33.34 cm.

This was done in a tube with sand so you could distinguish the soundwaves in the sand thus measuring the distance of one wave length.
Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
T here means the period, which is one over the frequency:
[tex]T=\frac{1}{f}[/tex]
[tex]f=\frac{1}{T}[/tex]
So you can calculate the period from the frequency. You can solve for "v" in the equation you gave and use the values of T and [itex]\lambda[/itex] to get a number. Just remember that your [itex]\lambda[/itex] is in centimeters so you should convert if you want a speed in m/s.

So basicly the speed is 0,3334 * 480 = 160.03 m/s ??
Sorry, but I'm a bit slow and this isn't my primary language either.

Another question, what if I wish to calculate the theoretical resonance wave length for the tube, (75 centimeters of lenght, closed in one end, open in the other end).

Alec said:
Right.
Alec said:
Another question, what if I wish to calculate the theoretical resonance wave length for the tube, (75 centimeters of lenght, closed in one end, open in the other end).
Since it is closed on one end, there will be a node at that end (a point of zero amplitude). Sice it is open at the other, there will be a maximum there. So there will be resonence when the lenth of the tube is 1/2[itex]\lambda[/itex], 3/2[itex]\lambda[/itex], 5/2[itex]\lambda[/itex]...

Thank you for your answers so far, but how do I calculate the resonance? (if that's possible)

There will be resonence when the length of the tube is (1/2)[itex]\lambda[/itex], (3/2)[itex]\lambda[/itex]... and so on. So the longest wavelength at which there will be resonence is when
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\lambda=L[/tex]
(L is the length of the tube). So you just have to solve for [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Alright
So I calculated it like this: (meters)
L1 = 1/2 * 1.5
L2 = 3/2 * 0.5
L3 = 5/2 * 0.3
And it checks out.
Any comments?
I'm also supposed to compare this wave length to the ones I noticed during my experiment, the biggest one I got was 0.3334 meters and the smallest one was 0.07 meters, what does this say?
So here it would be the wave length of 1.5 meters as the biggest and 0.3 meters as the smallest. Why is it so much bigger than the wave length that I got?

Last edited:
Alec said:
Sorry, but I'm a bit slow and this isn't my primary language either.

remember that f=1/T when doing this calculation

BananaMan said:
remember that f=1/T when doing this calculation
He did. He moved it over to the other side.

ooops sorry, its late and I am tired, should probably get myself off to bed, just one more crack at my optics and i will i think

It's okay, those calculations are fine now, although I'd appreciate some feedback on my previous post!

Last edited:

What is the Speed of Sound?

The speed of sound is the distance that sound waves travel per unit of time. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

How is the Speed of Sound Calculated?

The speed of sound can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes for the sound wave to travel that distance. The equation for calculating speed is speed = distance/time.

What Units are Used to Measure Sound?

The speed of sound is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s), while frequency is measured in hertz (Hz) and distance is measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm).

What is the Relationship Between Frequency and Speed of Sound?

The speed of sound is directly proportional to frequency. This means that as frequency increases, the speed of sound also increases and vice versa.

How Can the Speed of Sound be Measured in a Lab Setting?

In a lab setting, the speed of sound can be measured by using a device such as a sound wave generator and a microphone to measure the time it takes for the sound wave to travel a known distance. The equation speed = distance/time can then be used to calculate the speed of sound.