Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of the light!

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    hello scientists!
    Im new user. so I dont know manythings about physics.

one more thing:I dont know english well.

I just have a question about "Speed of light".
    Whats the real speed of it?
    300,000 k/h Or 300,000,000.001 m/h?

whats the rule of it?

The light's speed is the same as the gravity's speed?

What are your answers?
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s. (≈ 300,000 km per second, not per hour.)

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light" [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jul 20, 2010 #3
    thanks alot.
    I think its very important in our equation and i didnt know it!it was too bad!

another question:
    The light's speed is the same as the gravity's speed?

I think gravity has a real speed and It cant be faster than light. so why the black holes can suction the light?

thanks for your help!
  5. Jul 20, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes. A disturbance in the gravitational field is believed to travel at the speed of light.

Spacetime around a black hole is so distorted it curves back onto itself. (I'm sure there are folks here who will give you a much more detailed answer, if you need one.)
  6. Jul 20, 2010 #5
    Its so good!

So I can not interpret.
    I think even the distance (eg time) in a black hole is not defined and strange.
    Let alone the speed!

A very small object, which is related to quantum mechanics and high crime s that gets laws of relativity. These two are not compatible! Is there a link between them?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook