1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of the muon

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1
    The positive pion decays into a muon and a neutrino. The pion has rest mass [tex] m_\pi [/tex], the muon has [tex] m_\mu [/tex] , while the neutrino has [tex] m_v = 0[/tex]. Assuming the original pion was at rest, use conservation of momentum and energy to show that the speed of the muon is given by:

[tex] \frac{u}{c} = \frac{ (m_\pi/m_\mu)^2 - 1}{ (m_\pi/m_\mu)^2 + 1} [/tex]

I've tried [tex] m_\pi c^2 = \gamma m_\mu c^2 [/tex]. No success with that. I've also tried the relationship [tex] \beta = pmuc/E [/tex]. Still no. I know it SAYS to use conservation of energy and momentum, but I have yet to put together a correct relationship. Any help?
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT: Since the neutrino is massless its energy and momentum are related by E = pc.
  4. Feb 2, 2006 #3
    So did I leave out the energy from the neutrino?
    [tex] \pi^+ \rightarrow \mu^+ +v[/tex]

[tex] m_\pi c^2 = \gamma m_\mu c^2 + p_vc[/tex]
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  5. Feb 3, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you left out the neutrino energy.

You should arrive at

[tex]\frac { m_{\pi}} {m_{\mu}} = \gamma (1 +u/c)[/tex]

after combining the energy and momentum equations and the rest is simple algebra.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?