1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of tsunami

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    I was wondering if you could use physics to find the force and magnitude of a wave by using some equations.
    speed = frequency x period,if ferq in Hz,period in seconds
    I know that this equation would work in finding the speed of a wave, but i'm talking about the speed of tsunami and how hard it will hit when hitting a shore.

There is this german company that tried it and posted bunch of eqations, but i can't read german so i have no clue how they did it. It would be helpful if you can help me one this on.

German website. http://www.noort-innovations.nl/eindverslag%20definitief.pdf [Broken]
    thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2
    As a first approximation a tsunami can be consider a shallow wave (because the wavelength is much larger than the depth of the ocean) and in this case the velocity is proportional to sqrt(g H) where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height of the wave.

4. Jan 25, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook