Speed of Theoretical Wave: Constant Regardless of Frame?

In summary, the speed of a wave is determined by its frequency, wavelength and the frame of reference it is measured in.
ArielGenesis
In a theoretical wave that does not need a medium, not necessarily EM.
the speed of the wave is given by : v=fl
where f is frequency and l is lamda, wave length

suppose there is a stationary wave generator, we can easily measure f and l from any arbitrary point.
if we move towards the generator we will experience a Doppler effect, let's say, we move in such a way that we hear the frequency 2f. by doing this, the wavelength we detect become 0.5l and thus the speed is still v. so shouldn't any wave have a constant speed disregarding the frame of reference?

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of such a wave is v=E/p, which is frame-dependent except for particles (quanta) of rest mass 0.

theoretical wave but what?

ArielGenesis said:
In a theoretical wave that does not need a medium, not necessarily EM.
the speed of the wave is given by : v=fl
where f is frequency and l is lamda, wave length

suppose there is a stationary wave generator, we can easily measure f and l from any arbitrary point.
if we move towards the generator we will experience a Doppler effect, let's say, we move in such a way that we hear the frequency 2f. by doing this, the wavelength we detect become 0.5l and thus the speed is still v. so shouldn't any wave have a constant speed disregarding the frame of reference?

Could you define such a wave? The frequency is defined by the source and the wave length by the source and the medium as well!

so the wavelength is defined by the medium, that's new!

sorry Ich, but I have no idea what you are about. pardon me but not every one here, especially me, got a degree in physics.

hummm could I define such a wave? I might...
1. I am not sure, a gravitational force wave, where there will be a stationary source object which m=sin(t) where m is mass and t is time/.
2. I am sure! a normal sound wave in a super-fluid, so there will be no viscosity...

is EM is the only wave without medium?

1. What is the speed of theoretical wave?

The speed of theoretical wave is the speed at which a wave would travel in a perfect medium with no resistance or obstacles. It is often referred to as the speed of light, as light is the closest example we have to a theoretical wave.

2. Does the speed of theoretical wave change based on the observer's frame of reference?

No, the speed of theoretical wave is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This is a fundamental principle in the theory of relativity.

3. How is the speed of theoretical wave different from the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the speed at which sound waves travel through a medium, such as air or water. It is affected by various factors such as temperature and density of the medium, whereas the speed of theoretical wave is a constant value that is not affected by the properties of the medium.

4. Is the speed of theoretical wave the fastest speed possible?

According to the theory of relativity, yes, the speed of theoretical wave is the fastest speed possible. It is considered a universal speed limit and cannot be exceeded.

5. How is the speed of theoretical wave measured?

The speed of theoretical wave is typically measured in meters per second. It can be measured using various methods, such as the time it takes for a wave to travel a known distance or the frequency and wavelength of the wave.