Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of wave

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    In a theoretical wave that does not need a medium, not necessarily EM.
    the speed of the wave is given by : v=fl
    where f is frequency and l is lamda, wave length

suppose there is a stationary wave generator, we can easily measure f and l from any arbitrary point.
    if we move towards the generator we will experience a Doppler effect, lets say, we move in such a way that we hear the frequency 2f. by doing this, the wavelength we detect become 0.5l and thus the speed is still v. so shouldn't any wave have a constant speed disregarding the frame of reference?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2

Ich

Science Advisor

The speed of such a wave is v=E/p, which is frame-dependent except for particles (quanta) of rest mass 0.

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    theoretical wave but what?

Could you define such a wave? The frequency is defined by the source and the wave length by the source and the medium as well!

5. Sep 13, 2007 #4
    so the wavelength is defined by the medium, that's new!

sorry Ich, but I have no idea what you are about. pardon me but not every one here, especially me, got a degree in physics.

hummm could I define such a wave? I might...
    1. I am not sure, a gravitational force wave, where there will be a stationary source object which m=sin(t) where m is mass and t is time/.
    2. I am sure! a normal sound wave in a super-fluid, so there will be no viscosity...

is EM is the only wave without medium?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?