Speed pf the neutron of thorin

In summary, the problem asks to find the speed of the neutron of Thorium given the equation U → Th + α and the speed of α being 6 x 105 m/s. The conservation of momentum can be used to solve for the speed of Th, using the ratio of the masses of Th and α. The speed of the neutron of Thorium may refer to the speed of Th or there may be missing information.
songoku

Homework Statement

U → Th + α

The speed of α = 6 x 105 m/s. Find the speed of neutron of Thorium!

Homework Equations

E = mc2

momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure there is missing information, maybe the mass of α and Th. I just want to ask the way to solve it.

I thinking using the conservation of momentum. Before U decays, the total momentum is zero, so the total momentum of Th and should be zero. By knowing the mass of Th and α, we can find the speed of Th.

Is my idea correct?

And what about the speed of neutron of Thorium? Is it the same as speed of Thorium?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I find it hard to believe the wording is "Find the speed of neutron of Thorium". Could you check ?

BvU said:
I find it hard to believe the wording is "Find the speed of neutron of Thorium". Could you check ?

Actually I got it from my friend and he said he was sure that's the exact question

Thanks

songoku said:

Homework Equations

E = mc2
I think Albert E got that right, but if you want to do a momentum balance, that's not a relevant equation!

I was thinking of using the conservation of momentum. Before U decays, the total momentum is zero, so the total momentum of Th and α should be zero. By knowing the mass of Th and α, we can find the speed of Th.
Is my idea correct?
Looks good to me. If you write it down nicely, perhaps the masses themselves are not as important as their ratio. Any "missing information, maybe the mass of α and Th" is easily found (decay chain, or: Thorium series).

And I still can't make head or tail (i.e. can't make sense) out of "speed of neutron of Thorium"

BvU said:
I think Albert E got that right, but if you want to do a momentum balance, that's not a relevant equation!

Yes, I am just guessing some equations related to the question :shy:

Looks good to me. If you write it down nicely, perhaps the masses themselves are not as important as their ratio. Any "missing information, maybe the mass of α and Th" is easily found (decay chain, or: Thorium series).

And I still can't make head or tail (i.e. can't make sense) out of "speed of neutron of Thorium"

The equation I think is:
mTh x vTh = mα x vα

Yes, the ratio of their masses can be used to solve the equation. I just need to look for the ratio or the mass at the booklet.

I am also not sure about the speed of neutron, maybe it is speed of Th
Thanks

Last edited:

1. What is the speed of the neutron of thorin?

The speed of the neutron of thorin varies depending on its energy level and the medium it is traveling through. In a vacuum, its speed is approximately 1.8 x 10^7 meters per second. However, in a medium such as water or air, its speed can be significantly reduced due to collisions with other particles.

2. How does the speed of the neutron of thorin affect its behavior?

The speed of the neutron of thorin is a crucial factor in determining its behavior. At higher speeds, it has a greater penetrating ability and can cause more damage in nuclear reactions. At lower speeds, it is more likely to be captured by atomic nuclei, leading to nuclear reactions and energy release.

3. Can the speed of the neutron of thorin be controlled?

Yes, the speed of the neutron of thorin can be controlled through various methods such as using moderators or reflectors in nuclear reactors. These materials help to slow down or reflect the neutrons, allowing for better control and utilization in nuclear reactions.

4. How is the speed of the neutron of thorin measured?

The speed of the neutron of thorin is typically measured using a device called a neutron detector. This device detects the presence of neutrons and can also measure their energy levels, which can then be used to calculate their speed using the principles of kinetic energy and mass.

5. What factors can affect the speed of the neutron of thorin?

The speed of the neutron of thorin can be affected by various factors such as the type of material it is traveling through, its energy level, and the presence of other particles that can cause collisions. Additionally, the temperature and pressure of the environment can also impact its speed.