Optimizing Takeaway Delivery Speed: Ludo's Pizza vs. Moonlight Indian Takeaway

In summary, Paolo and his friends are trying to decide which takeaway to order from for the quickest delivery. Ludo's Pizza takes 1/4 hour to cook and has a distance of 6.5 KM to the house, with a delivery speed of 30km/h. Moonlight Indian Takeaway takes 1/2 hour to cook and has a distance of 4km to the house, with a delivery speed of 40km/h. After calculating the times for each delivery based on the distance and speed, it is determined that Ludo's Pizza is the faster option.
ViralRiver

Homework Statement

Can you help me answer this question?

Paolo and some friends want to order a take away. Paolo writes down what they need to know about the two nearest takeaways:

Ludo's Pizza:
Time to cook food is 1/4 hour
Distance to the house is 6.5 KM
Deliver on scooters with average speed of 30km/h

Moonlight Indian Takeaway:
Time taken to cook food is 1/2 hour
Distance to house is 4km
Delivery van has average speed of 40km/h

Which takeaway should they order from to get their food quickest? (please show working)

Homework Equations

s=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried converting each variable to metres and minutes but I couldn't work it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Calculate time required to deliver the pizza once it is ready.

Find the time taken by the scooter to cover 6.5 km and van to cover 4 km. Add to them the respective time of cooking.

Yeah, but how?

Imagine you are riding on the bike at 10 mph. You are 5 miles from home. How long will it take to get home?

The First one is faster from what i worked out. it takes << answer deleted by berkeman >>.

Last edited by a moderator:

You have the correct answer, first is faster, but I think the times you calculated are wrong

Stratosphere: nobody asked you to do ViralRiver homework.

I did T=r/d to calculate the time it takes for the moped to get to the house.

Got confused there, thought Stratosphere had asked the question originally. ViralRiver already gave the relevant equation (s=d/t) you ( or ViralRiver really) need to rearrange that for t.

This is what I got:

Ludo - 0.47 hours (2dp)
Moonlight - 0.6 hours

Is this right?

Looks OK :smile:

What is speed in physics?

Speed in physics is defined as the rate at which an object covers distance. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction.

How do you calculate speed?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to cover that distance. The formula for calculating speed is: speed = distance/time.

What are the units of speed?

The units of speed depend on the units used for distance and time. For example, if distance is measured in meters and time in seconds, then speed would be in meters per second (m/s). Other common units of speed include kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph).

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that only refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that also includes the direction of the movement. This means that an object can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

How does speed relate to acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's speed changes over time. This means that a change in speed (either an increase or decrease) will result in acceleration. The formula for acceleration is: acceleration = change in speed/change in time.

Back