Waiting for a Friend: Solving a Time Difference Problem

You could try rounding to the nearest whole number or converting the answer to minutes and see if that works. In summary, the problem involves two people driving a distance of 50 km at different speeds, and the question is how long one person will have to wait for the other. Using a ratio and cross-multiplication method, the time traveled by each person is calculated to be 0.547 hours and 0.566 hours, respectively. However, the computer-generated exercise is indicating that the answer of 0.019 hours is incorrect. It is possible that the exercise expects a different number of significant figures or time units for the answer. Rounding to the nearest whole number or converting the answer to minutes may yield a correct result.
black_hole

Homework Statement

You and a friend each drive 50 km. You travel at a uniform speed of 91.4 km/hr and your friend travels at a constant speed of 88.3 km/hr. How long will you wait for your friend?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought I could just set up a ratio and cross-multiply to get the hrs. traveled by each person. I got .547hrs. for "me" and .566hrs. for "my friend". Then subtract, the difference being the answer. However, I am doing this on a computer-generated exercise and it is telling me that .019hrs. is incorrect. Why isn't this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you did this correctly, I get the same answer. It could be they expect a different number of significant figures in the answer, or they expect different time units for some reason.

I would approach this problem by first converting the speeds from km/hr to m/s to make the units consistent. Then, I would use the formula d = vt to calculate the time it takes for each person to travel 50 km. For you, it would be t = 50 km / (91.4 km/hr * 1000 m/km * 1 hr/3600 s) = 0.0154 hrs. For your friend, it would be t = 50 km / (88.3 km/hr * 1000 m/km * 1 hr/3600 s) = 0.0160 hrs. The difference between these two times is 0.0006 hrs, which is equivalent to 2.16 seconds. Therefore, you would only need to wait for approximately 2 seconds for your friend to catch up to you.

The reason why your previous approach did not give the correct answer is because you were using the average speed of each person instead of their actual speeds at any given time. By using the formula d = vt, we are able to account for the changing speeds and accurately calculate the time it takes for each person to travel the given distance.

What is "Waiting for a Friend: Solving a Time Difference Problem"?

"Waiting for a Friend: Solving a Time Difference Problem" is an experiment that involves finding the time difference between two locations and determining the best time to communicate with a friend who is in a different time zone.

Why is it important to solve time difference problems?

Solving time difference problems is important because it allows people to effectively communicate and coordinate with others who are in different time zones. It also helps prevent confusion and misunderstandings when scheduling events or meetings.

What are the steps involved in solving a time difference problem?

The steps involved in solving a time difference problem include identifying the two locations and their time zones, converting the time in one location to the time in the other location, and factoring in any daylight saving time adjustments. It is also important to consider the current date and any potential changes in time zones due to daylight saving time or other factors.

What tools or resources can be used to solve time difference problems?

There are various tools and resources that can be used to solve time difference problems, such as time zone converters, world clocks, and online calculators. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of time zones and how they work.

Are there any challenges or limitations to solving time difference problems?

One of the main challenges in solving time difference problems is keeping track of changes in time zones, especially during daylight saving time transitions. Additionally, some countries and regions may have their own unique time zone rules, which can make calculations more complex. It is important to double check all calculations and consider any potential changes in time zones when solving these problems.